Relay - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 7:00 pm Thread Starter
MIK

Relay

I have installed AP1 fuse box and now I want to connect it through relay so it is only powered when the bike is on. The fuse box is under the seat (see the pic). Does anyone know which wire do I splice for that in that location?

TIA.

Max
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pb273037.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	7482  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 9:11 pm
Veteran

MIC

I would locate the taillight wire to operate the relay. It is a constant on, switched by the key.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 5:15 am
Addict

Don't know if you've fitted the relay yet. My Centech is in the same place as yours.

I found a nice place on the right just behind the coolant tank - relay needs to be close. I cut a small plate from stainless sheet and used the bolt there. The relays sit with their terminals facing downwards (good for weather proofing). I used faston spade terminals with heatshrink over.

You should really put in a big fuse or cutout. I used a 60 Amp 'Maxi fuseholder' fitted between the battery and rear fender.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 6:28 pm Thread Starter
MIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I found a nice place on the right just behind the coolant tank - relay needs to be close.
That's a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
You should really put in a big fuse or cutout. I used a 60 Amp 'Maxi fuseholder' fitted between the battery and rear fender.
I bought a complete kit from http://easternbeaver.com/ . It includes everything. I just need to find a wire to tap into for the relay. I am not sure how to determine one I need. Do you have pictures of your setup?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 7:47 pm
Addict

I didn't say so first time round, but having installed the AP1 I wouldn't use one again. It's very pretty and you get a lot of small bits which cost next to nothing. There may not be a 60 Amp fuse and holder so check. I seem to remember their blurb saying fit a fuse which they so easily could have built in to the AP1, just for safety reasons.

The first big issue I have is I often have the seat off for doing jobs. If there's a rain shower, water will pee into the AP1 everywhere. I got an A4 sheet of Mylar film, the sort used for overhead tranparencies, and fastened it so it wrapped over the AP1 under the seat. To get the seat clearance in the low position I also had to file down their fixing spacers to lose some height. I've never been over keen on screw terminals either, with vibration they have a habit of working lose.

If I did it again, I'd use 6 of those rubber moulded blade fuse holders that come pre-wired. I'd mount 3 alongside each seat rail so there wouldn't be a space issue and the whole lot would be proper automotive splash proof. Then I'd splice and crimp the ends together to the Maxi Blade fuse I had to buy anyway. The grounds can be spliced with crimps.

From memory, I didn't fit a power relay to the whole block, since I wanted some of my outlets available with the ignition off, some HID lighting circuits did come through a power relay which were controlled by my Autoswitch.

As others have said, the most popular choice is the parking circuit and you can pick that wire up from the rear tail light.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode