Brake fluid change - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 8:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question Brake fluid change

I know this maybe an old question but I went from an R bike to a K last summer. So I need maintenance information. My question, brake fluid change 2003 K1200GT? Iíve read some articles on the Internet, how to change the fluid. Some donít agree with others. I donít know for sure which or if any are for the 2003 brake system. Could someone please tell me where to find the correct instructions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 8:21 pm
Addict

The reason information doesn't seem to tie up is K bikes have developed different ABS variants across the years starting with simpler ABS 1 and 11 then moving to integral and some with servos. Each system type has different hydraulic circuits, bleed nipple points and changes in procedure to get air out of different places it seems to migrate to.

Do you know which type your braking system is?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 8:40 pm
Rookie

2003 K1200GT, you'll want to follow this process. It also includes the clutch bleed.
http://www.k-bikes.com/ubbthreads/sh...osts&Main=8088
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2008, 1:54 am
Looking for better limits...

Them be the exact ones I used for the first brake fluid change on my '03 GT. Helped a lot, though, that the author was the one doing the supervision for the three of us that were doing this on our own bikes at the time. I would strongly suggest having two people do this. Read ALL of it before starting...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2008, 5:53 pm
Addict

Brake Bleed

Now I can do quite a bit when it comes to mechanics but after reading halfway through a set of instructions on-line somewhere, my head started hurting. For me this is something I won't tackle. I'm going to the dealer in a few weeks to have them do it. I'm not taking any chances with that procedure. I'll just stay out of the bar for a week.....or so, and save that money for the work. Call me a pussy but it ain't worth it. Internal ABS valving woes can pop up that are very costly down the road, not to mention safety if it's not done correctly.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 11:48 am

Smile Printed & followed instructions from the posted address...

'03 RS/Integral ABS: Two years ago I posted an article on bleeding these brakes as a new owner of this bike and unfamiliar with this version of ABS. My '98 RT was a snap compared to this animal. I got myself in trouble by erroneously thinking that the fluid for the front calipers was coming from the front reservoir...WRONG! The SpeedBleeders were soon spouting air and I knew I was in trouble. I got through the procedure by creating a vac pump using a small turkey baster pilfered from my wife's kitchen tool drawer. Once I figured out that the combined reservoirs located at the rear was the source for the fluid replacement (at this stage in the process), I soon had clean fluid coming through the bleeders. I was able to bleed the accessible bleeders on the ABS controller, but probably not in the correct order--a result of not knowing what I was doing.

I perused this forum last week and found the address for the detailed instructions, printed them out, studied them in great detail, then set about to do it correctly this time around. What a difference it makes to turn on the ignition and let the ABS controller pumps do the actual caliper bleeding! With the battery removed before proceeding to the controller itself, I did not purchase the $68 "BMW Special Spanner" to access the "F2 & R2" bleeders as detailed in the instructions. Rather, I found a "work-around" using a 1/4" drive 7mm socket. Of course you can't get a drain tube over the bleeder with the socket in place, so instead, I stuffed paper towel under the bleeder in a large enough quantity to absorb the fluid. The box surrounding the battery and ABS controller is stainless steel, so errant fluid does not come in contact with anything that will be damaged and all was, in fact, contained within the towelling.

Otherwise, I followed these detailed instructions explicitly and had no problems. Once completed and with the battery reconnected, I turned on the switch and got 4 fast blinks of the ABS light followed by one-every-second. I thoroughly tested the brakes while in the garage with the engine running. I've since put 200 miles on it with no problems--the lights indicating "all is well with the ABS".

My advice: go to the address. Download the PDF file. Print all the pages. Study the photos. Do everything in the proper order as outlined in the instructions. And be very grateful to this guy. He's done us all a huge favor and saved us some big bucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode