K1200RS vs. R1100RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2008, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

K1200RS vs. R1100RS

I have a '97 R1100RS with 1 1/2 inch handlebar extension. My back , arms and wrist are happy with the riding position. I am thinking about getting a K1200RS/GT just to try it out. Has anyone ridden both bikes? How are the riding position between the two? Oil-cooled boxer engine is not smooth. Transmission is also clunky. What about K's?

Thank you for the reply,

Sigpe57

Last edited by sigpe57; Mar 24th, 2008 at 5:07 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2008, 3:48 pm

K's are extremely smooth and well balanced like a race car engine.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2008, 4:24 pm
Enthusiast

I ended up putting Bar-Backs on my GT, I couldn't stand the pressure on my wrists and elbows!

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2008, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHausLittleFalsy
K's are extremely smooth and well balanced like a race car engine.
How is the vibration compare to Honda VFR?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2008, 5:27 pm
Addict

R-Trans

Oh P-U on the pre-2000 six-speed transmission. Absolutely brutal on the top of the toes. Yuk-Yuk-junk-junk. Man that brought back some bad memories, I can still smell them. You'll love the transmission of the brick compared to the RRS. I have some bar-backs I'll let you try before you buy some to see if you like them. It's a personal preference thing. I put mine on right away but now I've been riding without them for 1-1/2 years, and I'm no spring chicken with a bad knee and I can take it. Good Luck

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2008, 6:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpe57
How is the vibration compare to Honda VFR?
Much less vibration than a VFR.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2008, 3:47 pm

As Different as Night and Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpe57
I have a '97 R1100RS with 1 1/2 inch handlebar extension. My back , arms and wrist are happy with the riding position. I am thinking about getting a K1200RS/GT just to try it out. Has anyone ridden both bikes? How are the riding position between the two? Oil-cooled boxer engine is not smooth. Transmission is also clunky. What about K's?
I have a 96 R1100RS and an 02 K1200RS. They are two different experiences with only the hard bag covers, turn signals, front tire, and heated grips in common.

The RRS beats me up with noise and buffet. Seating position is more upright but I have the bars full forward because I like that position. The power is not terrible but you have to work the gearbox when riding hard. It feels like a VFR when I get off the KRS, light and sporty. Of course its not really light and sporty, but I love riding it for short distances. No electronic cruise control. Barbaric.

The KRS is so much smoother. Little buffeting and noise. Gobs of effortless power and smooth highway riding. You can stay in 4th gear all day regardless of the road. Extra weight keeps it well planted but it's not great in the tight stuff. Very front end heavy and you can feel the weight push you to the outside of a turn. I love riding it long distances. Electronic cruise control. Wondrous.

If I could choose only one it would be the KRS, head and shoulders above the RRS, but I would miss the R bikes's nimble handling.

Marc
Prescott AZ
2008 K1200S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode