Givi E350 or E450 for 03' k1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2005, 11:19 am Thread Starter
just saying hey

Givi E350 or E450 for 03' k1200GT

Hi, I've seen the thread on the turbulence some folks are getting after installing the Givi V46 top case. Anyone with experience with the Givi E350 of E450 top cases on a GT?

pantana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2005, 8:07 pm

I have the V46 on an 03 K1200RS and have not experienced the instability being reported. A top case will definitely change the airflow over the bike, so not sure other Givi models would be much different. Note: I only use the Givi when riding two up on longer trips, so maybe there are issues when riding solo.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2005, 9:26 pm

I also have the V46 on my 2003 K1200GT. I use it when riding double with my wife and haven't noticed any instability up to about 85 MPH indicated, at which point I usually get the knees in the sides. I've used it with the Dunlop Sportmaxes as well as the Michelin Pilot Roads.

Rusty

Last edited by RustyJC; Nov 21st, 2005 at 9:40 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:01 pm

V46 Instability

After some experimentation, I discovered that the instability on my GT w/ the V46 only was noticeable when riding solo. Two up, the problem seemed to all but go away.

I fabricated a bracket out of 1/8 aluminum plate to rigidly couple the Givi mounting plate to the stock GT grab bar (I double checked that the Givi plate mounting bolts were tight - they were). After putting on the homemade reinforcement to the Givi plate, the wobbles went away immediately, even w/ a heavy load in the V46. This result tends to confirm the following:

(1) The instabilities are definitely aerodynamic

(2) They are much worse when the top case is hanging out all alone in the turbulence (i.e. no passenger to be a wind break). The heavier the load and the more turbulent the air, the worse things get.

(3) The stock Givi mounting scheme can allow the case to resonate/vibrate in rough air at a frequency that couples directly into the bike. Stiffening up the mounting can address this problem.

Mark

'03 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue)
'00 BMW R1100SA (Mandarin/Silver)
'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'74 R90S (Daytona Orange)
'06 Ducati Paul Smart Replica (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode