KGT Shuts Down on Freeway!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2008, 10:53 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Unhappy KGT Shuts Down on Freeway!!!

I have a '04 K1200GT with about 8800 miles. I bought it at 7200 miles only 1 month ago.

Riding to work down busy IH-10 this week, the engine just shut down! Very disconcerting at 70mph. It was like I was out of fuel. As a matter of fact, I reached for the petcock to flip it to reserve . . . wait a minute! I'm not riding the R90/6 any more! So, I finally made it to the side of the highway and put it on the center stand. I thought, "well perhaps I hit the kill switch by accident". No, not that. Out of fuel? No, over 1/4 tank left. The electrics worked as I tried to restart but it just cranked with no fire.

I finally gave up and called for a tow and had it taken to the nearest dealer. They haven't diagnosed it yet but I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of anything like this? Any similar experiences with anyone? I've told others and they say, "never heard of anything like that happening". Someone did say that it might be the battery since it's the original but that doesn't make sense. Why would it appear to lose fuel supply because of a battery going out. Any vehicle I've ever owned kept running even if the battery was bad. Besides, it has always cranked right up and given no indication that the battery was on its way out.

Does this make any sense to anyone? Thanks for you input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2008, 9:22 am
Rookie

After doing the obvious checks, sidestand switch (try starting in Neutral), etc I always ask myself two questions...
Spark?
Fuel?

Spark: With all the plastic it is hard to check spark on the road, I guess you could pull the wire off the distributor and ground check it.

Fuel: You know the drill, on the road, I'd at least listen for the fuel pump to engage when the key is turned. If I was convinced it was fuel, depending on conditions, I might pull a disconnect and push the du-dad back to check pressure (put out the cigar first). I recall someone having trouble when the reversed or kinked the vent hoses. Such a vacuum built up in the tank, it wouldn't supply fuel anymore.

Did the bike give any warning signs?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2008, 12:06 pm
Go Dawgs!

any smell of gas?

I previously posted about experiencing failure of the plastic body quick-disconnect in the fuel line of my 03 GT while sitting at a stoplight. That happened with about 10K on the bike. Of course, this resulted in gasoline spraying everywhere, and so was pretty obvious. With a quarter tank left in your bike I think this possibility would have been obvious, even with traffic whizzing by.

-Jeff
2003 K1200GT (Blue...of course!)

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
-- Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2008, 12:15 pm
Veteran

Check the fuel pump fuse? Fuse box #1 (left side), fuse #2 (10 amp.).

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:51 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks Folks!

Thanks for the ideas folks. I do like the fuse idea. As a matter of fact I visited the shop that has the bike and they'd popped the seat and had the fuse box open but no one around knew the status of the work since their service department was closed for the day. So, I'm hoping for an quick and easy (spelled inexpensive) fix! Thanks again!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2008, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyvicious
TSo, I'm hoping for an quick and easy (spelled inexpensive) fix!

Ummmm, you do know you bought a BMW right? Might as well break out the Visa Gold card right now, you'll probably need it.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2008, 9:03 pm
Looking for better limits...

If it's anything like mine was (except it was at 50 instead of 70), you're looking at a fuel pump replacement. My hearing ain't the greatest, and I couldn't tell if the pump was running when I turned the key back on, especially with all the traffic noise I was in the middle of. But, the service folks will be there tomorrow, and let us know how it goes.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2008, 9:27 pm
Addict

Just Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner

Ummmm, you do know you bought a BMW right? Might as well break out the Visa Gold card right now, you'll probably need it.
I don't know what kind of bike you own, if you do own one, but that statement sucks. If you actually have a BMW and don't like it, then go buy a Jap bike, talk about getting out the Gold Card out for parts, and quit bad mouthing our preferred brand. Better yet, just stick with your cager and call it a day.
Okay enough about you.

Now for the guy who has a bike problem. One thing that comes to my mind is how long the bike was sitting and where. If the battery is good, and the fuse is good here's what I would look for. When the bike stops, pop open the fuel filler lid and see if there is a vacuum sound. If there is then the fuel tank breather system is blocked. If the fuel tank cannot vent then it cannot dispense fuel. Little critters can get up into small areas such as the vent hose for the fuel tank, I mean "little' critters like spiders. They can build a nest in a small hose, especially if the bike was sitting for a while and in an area where they are prevalent like wooded areas, and completely clog a passage way. May sounds far fetched but believe me from experience. Also, if the guy before you constantly over filled the tank, then the charcoal cannister could be blocked with raw fuel which can result in the same type of blockage. Voxman, correct me if I'm wrong about the cannister. I had that problem with a 1999 R1100R, clogged cannister. Just something to think about. Many times the obvious is not as close as one thinks.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 7:52 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler
I don't know what kind of bike you own, if you do own one, but that statement sucks. If you actually have a BMW and don't like it, then go buy a Jap bike, talk about getting out the Gold Card out for parts, and quit bad mouthing our preferred brand. Better yet, just stick with your cager and call it a day.
Okay enough about you.

Umm,

Have you looked at the cost of maintaining these bikes at all? Just routine maintanence on these is expensive. If anything breaks it tends to be ridiculously expensive. Having just had a $3600 repair bill for an '03 K12RS with only 20k miles I can personally vouch for the cost. That's not bad mouthing the brand, it's just stating fact.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccieurzo
Umm,

Have you looked at the cost of maintaining these bikes at all? Just routine maintanence on these is expensive. If anything breaks it tends to be ridiculously expensive. Having just had a $3600 repair bill for an '03 K12RS with only 20k miles I can personally vouch for the cost. That's not bad mouthing the brand, it's just stating fact.

Yes..mile for mile...the cost of ownership and upkeep is more than their damn cars! BMW's are prohibitively expensive....but did you think this kind of performance came cheap?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode