Help Please!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2008, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

Help Please!!!

Well, my K1200 RS with 4800 miles fell over today, and in addition to cracking fairing, breaking mirror, and bending brake lever, it won't start!!!!!!!

I think the starter switch took the brunt of the impact as it fell against some railroad ties. The switch is stuck in the down position.

Can anyone give me some help as to how I can remedy this problem? Either to determine if this is in fact the problem and what I need to do to fix it (buy another switch, preferably used), or help in determining if it's something else.

It appears that the rest of the electrical system is working properly, brakes engage when I turn the kill switch to the ready position.

Oh, can anyone help me determine the total cost of this little mishap?

- small crack in right side fairing piece
- bent brake lever--lower
- smashed rearview mirror (housing is okay)
- broken starter switch? (unsure of this)

I'm hoping to do this myself--

Thanks again, I know you feel my pain.

If anyone has any of these parts used, I'd love to buy them--the color is a royal blue--it's a 2003.

Matt in Michigan--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Addict

Ouch!

First of all Matt, quit drinking with Shook around railroad tracks, Buckeyes are bad influences, especially to boys from Michigan....he-he. There is a chance the kill switch got fugged up inside where you can't see it, check that also.
Wanna share this episode? You will be looking at well over $50.00.................. what?.............................I'm trying to be nice.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Veteran

Try these guys!!!!

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/newparts.html

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 7:08 am
Rookie

I'd try fiberglassing the inside of the plastic behind the crack and repaint vs. buying a new part. Bummer about it falling over

--------------------

"That's some Catch, that Catch 22"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 9:44 am Thread Starter

The damn thing won't start!
Do you think the impact to the starter switch could have cut a wire?

Thanks for the replies.
Matt
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 2:23 pm

I take it you're not insured for this sort of thing? Yes the killswitch has been killed. Which is why you can't start your bike. Most likely everything else is cosmetic. I would try looking on ebay for parts if you want to replace...otherwise repair and paint the plastics at a reputable body shop that can match the color and finish perfectly! Try looking at part schematics for everything else you need to replace. Yes this will take some time to get humpty dumpty back together again but it will provide you with invaluable experience with your bike.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 2:28 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler
First of all Matt, quit drinking with Shook around railroad tracks, Buckeyes are bad influences, especially to boys from Michigan....he-he.

Hey !!

I'm more of a wino kind of guy.

Sheesh, this is how bad reputations get spread
on the internet

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

Wait, I guess I am insured--perhaps they'll cover it. Hope my deduct is only like $500--think it'll raise my premium?
The killswitch is killed or the starter switch? Do you think I'll have to replace that whole assemble that consists of the hand warmer and the turn signal and the kill switch/starter switch?

Thanks again, any further help will really help.

I'm a bit worried about the wiring--I can't seem to open the housing up to actually look at the starter switch--should I disconnect the + batter cable beforehand?

Man, experience at the expense of nice riding weather--what a drag!
Matt
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 5:11 pm

If you have comprehensive coverage, you should be covered. How did it fall over? I think your comprehensive kicks in when you have damage as a result of some random situation where there is no one directly responsible like the bike falling from a big gust of wind or from your kickstand settling in to soft ground. If you say it was damaged because of someone elses fault or negligence, I think that makes it a collision claim, in which case they try to recover your losses from the responsible party. If you admit to being the one at fault, I think the collision claim is different, as they won't be able to recover the expense from someone else, in which case your rates may go up. I beleive you can ask your insurance agent all of these questions before you make an official claim. However, you willl need to have your story straight, so as not to make them suspicious of you being an opportunist. Of course, you may have different deductibles for comprehensive vs. collision. I do not believe a comprehensive claim will raise your rates. Good Luck!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2008, 6:34 pm

If you decide to make a claim....have it moved to the dealer and let them work with your insurance company to make you whole again. Yes your rates will go up...but this is why you keep it fully covered in the first place. They won't go up as much as you think since there is no personal injury involved.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode