Oil Filter wrench K12RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 10:12 pm Thread Starter

Oil Filter wrench K12RS

I changed the oil last week for the first time (bought it last year used) and could not remove the oil filter. Took the new filter to the local hardware store and bought an oil filter wrench that fit but could not get it to loosen the old filter. Is there a trick to getting a good grip on the filter or will an after market wrench just not work? I ended up changing the oil but leaving the old filter on.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:43 am
Veteran

Are you saying that your aftermarket wrench is slipping around an over tight filter? Or that the filter is on so tight that you are afraid to really turn on it?

I use the filter wrench that is sold at BMW dealers. About $15.00 and never had a problem with it.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2008, 1:28 pm
Enthusiast

Been there

Perhaps I can help without embarassing myself too much. I have gotten in the bad habit of overtightening oil filters lately. Must be all the working out. Long and short of it, had the same problem with an aftermarket oil filter ( did not know it was aftermarket till I got it off, never again). Finally got out a big bar and the wrench just slipped and spun. It just wiped off the end of the filter, smeared if you will. Ended up pulling the oil pan and using the mongo channel locks to remove the filter. Was not too bad to do once I got over the pissing and grousing.

1) Factory filter only.
2) Read and tighten to spec. ( no more tighten till it breaks and back off 1/2 turn)

Good luck.

PM me if you need to.

Wow I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, Yeah I think Honda does too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2008, 3:57 pm
Addict

Slacken the filter when the engine and oil is HOT. But DON'T remove it until the oil has cooled down, since it pees down your arm.

Most car filters I've fitted are done up hand tight. The spec torque is 11 Nm which is sod all.

The reason for the dimples on the filter and the special tool is not to tighten the filter as much as you can, but to remove it.

PS: don't forget to make sure you do pull out a rubber seal with the old filter and haven't left the one stuck behind - making 2 rings when you fit the new filter!

Curious thing about those rubber rings: I've hand tightened filters, then gone back after only a couple of K miles and couldn't hand shift the same filter. There's some friction/expansion going on.

Wise move removing the sump cover. Also good when you've siezed or stripped the drain plug!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

Long and short of it, had the same problem with an aftermarket oil filter ( did not know it was aftermarket till I got it off, never again).

Actually, it should be a bmw filter as the dealer I bought it from did an oil change priort to me buying it. No idea why it's on so tight. I just couldn't get a good grip on it with the filter wrench to break it free. Most difficult filter placement I have ever had to get to.

Wise move removing the sump cover.

Vox, I'm confused, don't you have to remove the cover to get to the filter? Guess I'm going to have to buy a service manual - the damned owners manual is about worthless...............

I was quite surprised when I removed the sump cover and the oil just started running down all over the place. Changed alot of oil over the years but never experienced that. I'm glad I had let it cool down some.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 4:07 am
Addict

Confusion over semantic descriptions: By 'sump cover' I mean't the whole sump bottom, not the little cover you remove to access the filter.

Last resort, particularly if the drain plug threads get damaged as you can repair with the whole thing off the bike, clean out swarf after machining and put it back clean.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 4:11 pm
HUD

If your oil filter wrench is like mine it has two small holes opposite one another with the lug for a wrench handle in the middle. Put the filter wrench in position on the filter and run two sheet metal screws through the holes into the bottom of the filter and tighten the screws. Use washers if necessary to keep the screw heads from pulling through the wrench. This should keep the wrench from slipping on the filter and allow it to unscrew. It will make a mess!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 5:27 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosedog
I changed the oil last week for the first time (bought it last year used) and could not remove the oil filter. Took the new filter to the local hardware store and bought an oil filter wrench that fit but could not get it to loosen the old filter. Is there a trick to getting a good grip on the filter or will an after market wrench just not work? I ended up changing the oil but leaving the old filter on.

Thanks for your help.
....You did buy the socket style wrench?...or did you buy a band wrench?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 7:33 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUD
If your oil filter wrench is like mine it has two small holes opposite one another with the lug for a wrench handle in the middle. Put the filter wrench in position on the filter and run two sheet metal screws through the holes into the bottom of the filter and tighten the screws. Use washers if necessary to keep the screw heads from pulling through the wrench. This should keep the wrench from slipping on the filter and allow it to unscrew. It will make a mess!
Neat trick, never thought of running screws through the filter can. May save me a lot of trouble in the future. Even if there are no holes I have a drill.

Wow I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, Yeah I think Honda does too.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot
Neat trick, never thought of running screws through the filter can. May save me a lot of trouble in the future. Even if there are no holes I have a drill.

A very civilised and neat way around a problem.

In the bad old days I was taught to bash a large screw driver right through the filter and twist! These BMW owners are so much classier!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode