BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Shift Lever Height

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  voxmagna 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else here has an opinion regarding shift lever height in reference to foot peg positioning. I feel that my K12GT’s shift level is adjusted lower than what I feel is correct. To perform an up-shift, your foot really needs to go steep to get under it. This situation is far worse when wearing a pair of riding boots. I see that the shift level is somewhat adjustable, but since I do not have a shop manual, I am not sure if there is a factory suggested height involved. I would imagine that they want it low enough so that you don’t accidentally rest the sole of your boot on it (slightly pushing the lever down) but I think mine is lower than what makes sense. Any comments?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have noticed that too, but the built in adjustment has a fixed range. If you move the foot pegs to the upper bolt holes (sport position) and loosen the shift lever bolt, it will rotate towards the rear of the bike. The geometry between the foot peg and shift lever stays relative, but is rotated upwards and rearwards, supposedly for a more sport oriented position.

I may be completely wrong about this, but that was how my dealer explained it to me. I would personally like the shift lever raised about an inch straight vertical from where it is now.

#3 ·
there is a wire clip you remove on the inside link, then loosen the lock nut and turn threaded shaft to get the height you like.No recommended height that I know of, just what fits you.Oh the wire clip is a weird BMW only clip and will fly 200 feet and land under the bench in the far corner out of your reach and line of sight.Ask me how I know this.

#4 ·
....and if that doesn't do it for you, rotate the entire linkage just one tooth on the tranny output shaft....makes a big difference that you can tweek with the other linkage adjustments. Make sure you set it up for the boots you're going to wear!

#5 ·
THANKS on the tip about the adjuster. I have had Honda bikes in the past with adjustable shift linkage and it was as easy as loosening the jam nut and rotating the adjuster. I tried the same trick on my GT before posting this thread and couldn't get the adjuster to move (after loosening the jam nut). I didn’t know about the clip and certainly didn't want to force anything. I thought about moving the shift linkage on the tranny shaft, but wasn't sure if you could move the lever on the spines (thought it may be indexed). I would like to get the shift lever upward about a half inch. I think the best way to situate the lever is to adjust it right below the sole of my boot when resting my foot on the peg (normal riding position) therefore it is available to downshift and hopefully it is easier to access for an up-shift while not interfering with my normal rested foot position. Looks like a little trial and error here.

#7 ·
It's got a lot to do with riding boots.

I could rotate the shift lever using the adjuster, but just couldn't get the rubber on the toe of my boot in the right position - until I modified the first section with the toe rubber so I could set it forwards.

Even as it is, if you slacken the nut holding that lever you can get 2 or 3 degrees of front to back movement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.