Redline MTL in the Transmission - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 5:23 pm Thread Starter

Question Redline MTL in the Transmission

Hey guys:

Has anyone tried the Redline MTL product in our K1200RS/GT transmissions? I did today, and it seemed to improve shifting, especially up-shifts.

I have used Reline MTL in my manual BMW car transmissions for many years, and always felt the product was a big improvement. Just wanted the thoughts of the community on this...

Cheers,

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 7:03 pm
Veteran

Pete

While Redline MTL is an excellent product, it's not what is specified for our K1200's.
MTL is class GL-4, which has friction-modifiers for syncro-mesh transmissions and is 75/80wht.

BMW specifies class GL-5, which has no friction-modifiers, and 90wht. gear oil.

People on this site use a lot of different gear oils and weights. I use Mobil 1 75W/90 only in the trans. and rear drive.

I'm sure there will be many different opinions and replies to your post.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 10:16 pm

I just started using Redlne Heavy Shock again.... in my 03 GT. i used it in my 93 LT several thousand miles. I was using Mobile 1 in trany and gear box in the 03...got a little sepping from one of the seals. So went to Redline. i think some of the Syn..are a little to lite for some of the seals. It was like 5 wt. oil when I drained it. yes it was 75-140..or something like that. My kid ( 30 ) has been using Reline in his K12 rs for years.... i dont see any where in my books to use synthic anything. so rather than spend 400-500 on new seals I would rather go to a regular 90 wt. even. To see it that helps..personal thoughts. reline has some for Air cooled Harleys as well....LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 7:09 am
Rookie

Just BMW dino in the trans and fd. Not sure why we're always trying to fix what isn't broken (by switching to non-recommended syn). Proof that marketing works.

Although I do run Mobil 1 15w50 in the engine.

Mike
08 K1200S Nachtschwartz
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 1:07 pm
Addict

I'm always curious to know exactly what riders are expecting by changing any of the oil types on the bike.

If the question starts: I want to go faster, will XYZ brand do it, or I want my seals to last much longer is ABC brand OK, then they would be good questions to think about. Rarely do you hear about requests to have good engine/tranny/RD life, because there are many other things that can put the bike in the repair shop.

Perhaps it's the color of the oil or packaging that's important? Or is it giving the bike what it might like as if it had choice in the matter - same as cat or dog food.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 1:32 pm
Veteran

Vox

When I changed from dino oil to synthetic in the trans of my '76 Triumph T140v the shifting instantly went from slightly knotchy to butter-smooth (still finding neutral was another story).
I have been a synthetic gear oil user ever since.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Update on the Redline

Hey Guys:

After much internal review, I decided to drain the Redline MTL, and put the Amsoil GL-5 Synthetic Lubricant in my tansmission. The K1200RS shifts much better, and is easier to get into first gear.

Much less "clunking" noise between shifts...

After all of the reading/research I have done, a good quality synthetic will kick the pants off dino-juice based lubricants any day of the week. However that is just my humble opinion.

Pete
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 9:14 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ack535
Hey Guys:

..a good quality synthetic will kick the pants off dino-juice based lubricants...

Pete

For those of us who are technically challenged...in laymans terms, please explain this process of one oil "kicking the pants" off of another oil.

Mike
08 K1200S Nachtschwartz
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2008, 9:37 pm
Enthusiast

Synthetic Oil

Any good Synthetic oil in a transmission will smooth it out as you are describing. I doubt Brand had little to do with it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 4:57 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
Vox

When I changed from dino oil to synthetic in the trans of my '76 Triumph T140v the shifting instantly went from slightly knotchy to butter-smooth (still finding neutral was another story).
I have been a synthetic gear oil user ever since.
I once had a UK Rover car which had a reputation for poor stick shift when cold. The manufacturers told the service shops to replace the tranny oil with ATF fluid which made shifting silky smooth and mean't they could sell new cars. They did that on mine and 2 years later when I had a shift problem and dismantled it I found worn synchro rings.

I'm not suggesting anything like this could happen in a bike tranni, but it taught me that what might appear as an improvement on the outside, could be detrimental somewhere else.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode