99 K122RS Clutch Question / Problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2008, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

99 K122RS Clutch Question / Problem

I installed a set of American Barbacks and now my clutch does not engage without vigorous pumping of the clutch lever. I can start the bike and put the transmission into gear and nothing happens with the clutch lever out. If I pump the clutch lever several times, pull the lever in and place the bike in gear, the transmission engages when I let the clutch out. I fear I have introduced air into the system. I would think the bike would still engage the gearbox when started with the clutch out. This is not the case. Any advice? I am waiting for a bleeder screw for the clutch bleeder fitting from the dealer. Hopefully this will fix the problem. I have checked the plunbing and wiring around the handlebars and nothing is pinched.

Thanks,
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2008, 7:06 pm
Veteran

Rick

It's possible that you might have internally damaged, ruptured or kinked the flex hose that goes from the clutch master cylinder to the clutch slave cylinder. Have you checked the fluid level in the MC reservoir?? DO NOT PUMP THE LEVER WITH THE RESERVOIR COVER OFF! How big were/are the barbacks?? On an '04KRS, 30mm. is as far back as you can go without changing hydraulic lines.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2008, 7:55 pm

Try tying the clutch lever back the the handle grip overnight, this may self-bleed some air from the line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 2:05 pm
Addict

The clutch line is some sort of thermo shrinking type. It can be turned and get loose on the banjo fittings letting in air. It's quite stiff and is easily kinked, particularly if you weren't so careful to check it out lock to lock. Or perhaps when you had the grips and reservoirs off, they rolled over and got air in the master cylinder.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2008, 2:39 pm
Rookie

Now I had a problem with my bike last year. Its a 98RS with 86k on the OD. So my first question is, is there fluid around the lever or under the res. and has your fluid level gone down. If it has or you find break fluid dripping on to your paint you might need to replace the seals. If not I would bleed the system make sure you start out with a full system. also if you short stroke the lever slowly it will help bleed the slave. lots of luck!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2008, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

Problem Fixed

Thanks for the replys everyone. I was able to bleed the clutch system and it is working normal again. Must have introduced air into the system when I installed the barbacks. Thanks for all the help.

Rick
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2008, 4:54 am
Noob

Barback Installation

When I bought those barbacks, I looked at the installation instructions and took a bit of a fright with all the disconnecting that might be involved. Thinking that there must be an easier way, I just released the fork tube clamps at the bars and top clamp, and dropped the tubes down sufficiently to re-route the hoses and cables behind them without disconnecting anything. Easy-peasy ! Neville.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode