Idle adjustment?!?! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2008, 11:35 am Thread Starter
RRG

Idle adjustment?!?!

I replaced the battery a couple weeks ago and now my 98' KRS idles at 400-500 RPM and it does not fast idle when cold. I understand there is no idle adjustment. How do I get the idle at the proper speed 900-1000 RPM?? Will disconnecting the battery, reconnecting it, switching the ignition on, open and close the throttle three times, then starting it "re-adjust" the idle? or is this just Voodoo??

RRG
98' Red Checkered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2008, 2:52 pm
Addict

There is no idle adjustment, the ECU does it. I wish my KRS idled at 400-500 instead of around 1K. But the BMW Efi system probably makes it idle a bit rough that low?

Disconnect both wires to the battery then join the pos and neg wires on the bike together and leave for 1/2 hour. Reconnect and do the Voodoo.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2008, 3:13 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
There is no idle adjustment, the ECU does it. I wish my KRS idled at 400-500 instead of around 1K. But the BMW Efi system probably makes it idle a bit rough that low?

Disconnect both wires to the battery then join the pos and neg wires on the bike together and leave for 1/2 hour. Reconnect and do the Voodoo.

KEY WORDS....BOTH CABLES FROM BATTERY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2008, 4:20 pm Thread Starter
RRG

Thanks! I'll try your suggestions. Idling at 400-500 rpm the engine acts like it is JUST....ABOUT.....READY......TO.......DIE! I am also concerned that oil pressure might be too low or something like that. I figure the BMW engineers set the idle at 900-1050 for a reason.

RRG
98' Red Checkered
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2008, 6:20 pm
Addict

High idle keeps the alternator charging during winter stop/start short rides, 'softens' the K-Brick rattle, hides a rougher idle with multi-point efi. might stop the ABS lights flashing when you ride off (more juice and volts in battery after cranking), warms up the bike quicker so it comes of rich mixture start sooner, turns the water pump faster so less coolant problems at stops.

Isn't it amazing how a small piece of firmware code setting idle can cover up things you didn't know you had and make a motor more appealing and sweet to buy?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2008, 3:49 pm Thread Starter
RRG

low idle FIXED!

As suggested I disconnected both battery terminals and let it sit for a couple days (didn't have time to get back to it). I reconnected the battery, did the "voodoo" thing opening and closing the throttle with the ignition ON, turning the ignition OFF, then restarting. Problem solved! Idles at 1000 Rpm as it is supposed to.

RRG
98' Red Checkered

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode