Mixing Tires - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2008, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

Mixing Tires

When I bought my 99 KRS in Feb. it came with a new, unmounted rear Michelin Pilot Road. I haven't mounted it yet. I was also thinking about getting a new front to have a fresh pair. Would it be wise to stay with a Pilot Road in front or maybe got to a PR2? I've never had Michelins before, always Z 6s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 9:45 am
Will ride for picts

Doesn't hurt to mix tires. Some will ride with a sticky sport tire up front (e.g. Pilot Power), and a longer lasting sport-touring tire on the back (e.g. Pilot Road). I've ridden thousands of miles with a Michelin Pilot Road up front and a Metzler Z6 out back when I got a nail in the front while on the road. That combo worked well for me.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 10:51 am

I always mount a new set no matter what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHausLittleFalsy
I always mount a new set no matter what.
+1 me too, and always a Z6 "C" on the rear.
FlagRS

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 3:15 pm
Enthusiast

I had a set of Z6's on my GT but was never crazy about the front tire when things got really twisty and quick. When the front wore out I was going to try something different and the local Cycle Gear store had a Pirelli Diablo in stock, so I decided to try it. So far I have about 4000 miles on it and like the way it sticks. The rear Z6 needs replacing soon and the front in about 1500 miles, so I may just try a set of the new Pilot Road 2's. The point of the story is that I've had no problem mixing tires and this isn't the first time I've done it.

'03 K1200GT

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2008, 4:01 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhall
Doesn't hurt to mix tires. Some will ride with a sticky sport tire up front (e.g. Pilot Power), and a longer lasting sport-touring tire on the back (e.g. Pilot Road). I've ridden thousands of miles with a Michelin Pilot Road up front and a Metzler Z6 out back when I got a nail in the front while on the road. That combo worked well for me.

how is that MPR as far as chop...Love my Z6 on the rear..but the frnt Z6 makes for some ruff handeling when it starts to chop....Im due so I was thinking something different....as a new tire with a Z6 its great...but once worn Its a fighter...and with the Z6 rear you really need something on the front to get the water out of the way for the rear...thats a big worry for me...to bad they did away with the Z4...best milage ever with that tire....think it was around 12000 for rear...and i squeeked out 18000 for the front...I know Iknow..It was prety worn..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2008, 4:49 pm
Addict

Mix

I personally NEVER mix tire brands...............ever. One thing to consider is that tire manufactures have different radiuses and are meant to be run with their mate. Ex: If the rear has a steep radius from the center of the tire to the sidewall and the "mixed" front is more rounded, it throws the handling off. Depending on these radiuses, you may get a "loose" condition in the rear or "push" in the front. Go to the tire manufacturers sites and get their radius specs to see what I'm talking of. That's why some of these Chopper boys with a big fat tire on the rear and a "bicycle" tire on the front they handle like shit because the front will push bad and down they go. I also always change them together no matter how good the front is, but that's just me. Hoe this helps.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2008, 5:59 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
how is that MPR as far as chop...Love my Z6 on the rear..but the frnt Z6 makes for some ruff handeling when it starts to chop....Im due so I was thinking something different....as a new tire with a Z6 its great...but once worn Its a fighter...and with the Z6 rear you really need something on the front to get the water out of the way for the rear...thats a big worry for me...to bad they did away with the Z4...best milage ever with that tire....think it was around 12000 for rear...and i squeeked out 18000 for the front...I know Iknow..It was prety worn..
The Michelin front wears much better than the Metz Z6. The Z6 will wear in a particular manner, ending in a trapezoid shape. This tends to tip you into the corners and you need to be ready to catch it. The Pilot Road wore in a more even pattern.

Some folks ASSUME that mixed brands will handle poorer, but the opposite may be the case also. I usually do try to stick with the same brand, but its not big deal for me to switch either.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode