Has anyone solved the disintegrating tank bag foam issue? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2008, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

Has anyone solved the disintegrating tank bag foam issue?

The gray foam on the bottom of the tank bag that came with my K1200RS is disintegrating in my hands and leaving crud on the tank when I mount the tank bag.

Obviously the BMW tank bag foam needs to be replaced; but how?

Is there a common material that I can use to replace the BMW tank bag foam?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bad_foam.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	7808  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2008, 9:36 pm
Addict

Repair

Hey Donnitello,
I found a site for bag repairs but the guy is not doing it anymore. I attached a photo from his site for inspiration. Here's a link for a BMW guy that restores old Beemers http://motos.home.att.net/stafford.htm
If he restore bikes I'm sure he may know someone that could help. My nickname is 'Cobbler" because it was my profession for many years, shoe, boot, and leather repair. Here's my suggestion. Find a shoe repair shop, that speaks english, or an orthopedic shop and have them sell you a piece of "light-weight orthopedic crepe foam, about a 15 iron as we call it in the business, that's approximately 1/4". (the attached photo shows about a 1/2" thick piece, use what ever thickness you like). Cut a pattern for the bottom, get some good contact cement, Barge cement is very good. Apply the contact cement to both surfaces and let them dry separately. Approximately 1/2 hour or dry to the touch. Very carefully attach the crepe/foam the the bag and press the very firmly together. You could even place it on your bench and pound it lightly with a hammer and your done. No stitching required. It's a thought. If you get in a bind and can't find all this let me know and I may come out of retirement to help you out. Drop me an e-mail with any questions. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	r11foam2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	7811  

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2008, 2:47 am Thread Starter

I'll try cobbler's suggestion for orthopedic foam

Hi Cobbler,
What a great moniker for this thread! I will definitely check out the orthopedic foam for the BMW tank bag to replace the foam that is falling apart in my hands. The Barge cement and that foam look like they'll work. When I do the job, I'll post pictures (as I always do) so others can follow in our footsteps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2008, 8:34 pm

BMW Tank Bag Foam Issue

Hey, any news on how the experiment went? I have the same issue on my bag and want to check out your results. I was surprised that BMW or the bag vendor they OEM from doesn't offer replacement pads. I'm velcro-ing a cloth under there now...not ideal. Also need to replace a broken parachute latch but of course they are sewn up and make replacing a science project.

Thanks,

Jim

'98 K1200RS
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey, any news on how the experiment went?
Not yet. I have the tank bag in my trunk waiting for me to drive by a cobbler's store and jump out. Problem is I work 9 to 5 and the cobblers all seem to do the same. But, I'll definitely post back (as I always do) so that others benefit from all the help!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 8:59 pm

This thread interests me...

For my K75S w/aluminum tank I bought a near new Mulitvario off Craig's for cheap[($50).
Problem was the bag is for a R1150R. My cobbler added 1 1/4" of leather to the back strap so that the front elastics was not singing tight. Costs $20.
Now the front edge rests on the tank because the curve is not as tight as the 1150's tank. So I add foam to the front where there was none before. Majic!

I used 3/8" square weather stripping neoprene. Several dots of adhesive silicone were used as well as the adhesive that is on the weather stripping. I use 4 lengths 2 wide and 2 high to make the plot 3/4" x 3/4". Works for me as the neoprene foam was at hand.

Note: This dense neoprene can be had at Ace Hardware.

Hope this helps. YMMV

Last edited by johnpeter; Jun 2nd, 2008 at 9:36 pm.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

Whatever we use to repair the BMW tank bag needs to be gasoline r

Quote:
I used 3/8" square weather stripping neoprene. Several dots of adhesive silicone were used as well as the adhesive that is on the weather stripping. I use 4 lengths 2 wide and 2 high to make the plot 3/4" x 3/4". This dense neoprene can be had at Ace Hardware.
Thanks. I checked out ACE hardware last night. All their weatherstripping was, in my opinion, either too thin (as you noted) or not dense enough. It was strips (as you noted) and I really like the idea of the orthopedic foam. So I put the bag in my trunk and will carry it around until I see a cobbler open and I'll go for the foam.

One issue we'll have with orthopedic cushion materials is they need to be gasoline resistant.

I wonder what made the foam disintegrate in the first place? Do you think it's merely age (do they all disintegrate in your hands?). Do you think gasoline spills caused the disintegration?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 12:33 pm Thread Starter

One inch thick closed cell neoprene should work

Closed Cell Neoprene Sponge Rubber seems to be a decent BMW tank bag repair foam cushion material.

Here is a one inch thick closed cell neoprene BMW tank bag repair ($15 USD).
http://www.earplugco.com/services.htm
Unfortunately the guy is also out of business (at those low prices, no wonder).

Looking up the properties of closed cell neoprene for BMW tank bag repair:
http://www.jdrussellco.com/neopren.htm
http://www.stockwell.com/pages/materials_ccsponge.php
it seems the neoprene closed cell sponge rubber cushion offers good resistance to ozone, uv, acid, alkali, gasoline, and oil and is flame retardant.

Neoprene is apparently supplied in 9 and 16# densities, whatever that means.
http://www.atlanticgasket.com/materials/foam.html

On the high end of the scale, we can get 42" x 72" sheets of black one-inch closed-cell neoprene sponge for $170.50 at
http://abbottrubber.thomasnet.com/vi...eoprene-sponge
but, we must be able to get a simple pad for a lot less than that somewhere.

So, I think we're looking for:
2' x 1' x 1" x 16 pound density black closed-cell neoprene sponge material
http://www.foambymail.com/closedcell.html
http://www.canalrubber.com/closed-cell-neoprene.html

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	r11foam2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	8040  

Last edited by donnatello; Jun 4th, 2008 at 12:46 pm.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 9:55 pm
Addict

John Peter

That avatar just cracks me up.................is that your hound?

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 10:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler
That avatar just cracks me up.................is that your hound?
No but I do love Boxer dogs because they are sweet, powerful and not too bright.
When I was a child my first Boxer(Fancy) would pull me and my bicycle everywhere.
I have had two more as an adult and both lived past 14 years.

I forget where I stole this Avatar from but it does suit me because I have been known to talk out my ass.

Your Rat Fink Avatar.
Gads! I would just stare at Ed Roth's work when I was a kid. Built several models made to his drawings.
Bought an autographed t-shirt from Ed Roth several years ago during the Seal Beach, CA car show on Main St.
Never been washed or worn. He died less than two years after I purchased it, iirc. He did look rather ill during that show.
Very nice man. R.I.P. Ed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode