Left handlebar switch removal and heated grip plug - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:40 pm Thread Starter

Left handlebar switch removal and heated grip plug

Hello All;
thank you again for letting me become a part of this group. I've tried to search my topic and though I was able to learn where the heated grips plug at the neck I haven't by feel been able to determine how to unplug.

I'm new to the group but not to riding or K bikes. I presently have an 88 K100RS special edition I am bringing back to life (my brother in law bought it new in 88 but its been off the road for a good 6 years and I'm don't the once over from head to toe. I also just acquired a new to me 02 K100RS with < 2000 miles. no logic to getting it - but I had a moment of weakness. The whole ride home (only @60miles) I just yelling at myself for being an idiot and realizing I'm much too old and fat to be scrunched up so uncomfortably and a plastic bike. I cursed it when I got home and yearned for my old valkyrie. That was last week.
Though I still find shifting and the foot brake very awkward - and the 30 degree mornings quite painful to my exposed knees, I am also becoming more hooked every day.

anyway - The left heated grip (what an invention) is not working. the left turn signal switch is also very loose and sometimes needs to be pulled back to allow it to be turned off.

My question - if you made it this far - is 1) how do I remove the left handlebar switch housing so I can take a look and see if I can get at the turn signal switch hoping I can rectify versus replacing and 2) how do I unplug the heated grip plug at the neck to see if there is power and if the grip is "open" or not.

If I were a betting man - which I'm not - I'd venture that owner number 1 started to drop her and took the punishment out on the left grip and switch housing - there are some minor stress cracks in the rubber at the end of the grip which I could see happening if I was hanking on that grip end. That would also answer to low mileage as the poor bugger was probably afraid of it from that point on but too afraid to tell his wife who he begged to buy it in the first place

It's supposed to poor tomorrow so I was hoping to take a look when I get home from Job 2 in the afternoon. that and If I'm real brave - try and drop the lower fairing without having a manual yet and get that puky old oil changed. I've ridden on it way too long already.

Good night all - thanks again - sorry for being long winded.

KES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 2:48 pm

Let me know what you find out

Let me know if you find out anything as I have to also take apart my left handlebar controls with heated grips too!
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14004

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 12:16 am

I'll post the complete steps to the other thread on the left turn signal but here, for the record, is what the insides of the left switch combination unit looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	handlebar.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	8430  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode