good bye: 2005 season !!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:38 am Thread Starter

Smile good bye: 2005 season !!!

Brought my K12GT to the dealer wednesday for 4 month of "professional winter storage". Did the trip (100 miles) in snow and temp below zero (celsius). I live in Denmark.

Heated grips and seat are very very nice features under such circumstances.

Now I will look forward to March where the weather again is suitable for motorcycle riding. Geee - I wish I lived in a country with better weather (and curvy roads).

Have fun during winter you lucky guys than can actually ride !!!

NB: thanks to those who recommended me to drive route 178 to Sedona during my trip to Phoenix for 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately I lost all my old mails during the shift of web-address so I missed who it was ?

It was a blast ! - unfortunately I could not find a BMW so I rented a big Harley. What a piece of crap - sorry if I offended some americans ;-(

/Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2005, 12:08 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

Talking Winter Storage

Last year in Tennessee I managed to ride every week at least once to work on my GT, So far I have ridden every day except for three in the last two months. Going in tonight it will be almost 55 fahrenheit. when I leave and 30 fahrenheit. or so when I return. Coldest I have ridden is 17 fht. or -8 C. the grips and seat were nice then. We don't get much of any snow and a little freezing rain here in the winter so riding year round is doable. I have put 30,000 miles on the bikes in the last two years just going to and from work mostly. I used to live in Michigan's upper peninsula where we had 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad sledding so this is great here. Don

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2005, 5:30 pm
Addict

to bad you gotta park your bike for the winter. i live in PA and it gets plenty cold dec -mar with a fair share of freezing temperatures, snow and ice. i never winterize my RS completely because there's always those couple of days when it gets up into the 40's & 50's, which is warm enough for me to ride. i do put fuel stabilizer in the tank and water absorb just to be on the safe side. the longest i've gone without riding is 3 weeks but thats about the longest. take and ride safe when the warm weather returns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2005, 6:30 pm

Very mild here in Victoria, seldom gets below freezing, usually around 8 deg C this time of year. Year round riding *and* curvy roads...but not too many places other then the Northern part of the Island where you can really let the bike "stretch it's legs". Have to go to the Mainland to do that. Tons of room there. You could fit WA, OR, CA and Idaho in BC. Cheers.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2005, 8:51 pm

Talking They're all yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincGT
You could fit WA, OR, CA and Idaho in BC.
You can have 'em, Mark.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2005, 4:00 am

Question a related question

This is my first winter with the Mighty K12 and it has been into the 20's here in VA. Plugging in my Widder vest and gloves, the vest seems marginal and the gloves inop. They worked like a champ at the end of last season with my R-RT. The gloves shouldn't be kaput. Is it possible that this acc socket delivers less current than the one on the RT? Any suggestions?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2005, 6:20 am
Enthusiast

Year Round Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratemut
Brought my K12GT to the dealer wednesday for 4 month of "professional winter storage". Did the trip (100 miles) in snow and temp below zero (celsius). I live in Denmark. Have fun during winter you lucky guys than can actually ride!!!

Michael
So sorry Michael, but I don't understand what you mean by "professional winter storage" or why you're saying goodbye to the "season." Winter in Florida offers absolutely perfect riding weather, and so is not even noticed when it arrives!

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FloridaWinter.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	699  

Last edited by K_Biker_Bill; Nov 20th, 2005 at 6:25 am.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2005, 7:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer1
This is my first winter with the Mighty K12 and it has been into the 20's here in VA. Plugging in my Widder vest and gloves, the vest seems marginal and the gloves inop. They worked like a champ at the end of last season with my R-RT. The gloves shouldn't be kaput. Is it possible that this acc socket delivers less current than the one on the RT? Any suggestions?
Electrical devices will draw the current they need. If the circuit can't supply enough current, theoretically, the fuse will blow to protect the circuit. Throw theories out the door and other parts of the circuit will have to make up for the poor design....i.e. wires overheat, other components blow, etc. This is why it is so important to match wire sizing to current load, etc.

So, I would test your vest and gloves immediately. Either plug them into your car, take them to a friend or dealer, etc so that you can test them on another circuit AND/OR contact Widder and ask them for some troubleshooting tips that include the proper resistances of their internal wiring (most likely smaller than the circuits wires on the bike).

It may simply be the case of bad gloves. They could have had a problem last season that caused internal overheating and/or arcing. When they sat for the off-season, they could have coroded enough that they now resist current flow to allow them to heat up. Same with your "marginal" vest.

Good luck!

Randy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2005, 8:40 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer1
I've had a pair of Widder gloves and a vest for over five years. A couple of years ago I sent the gloves back to Widder because they would burn the back of my hands. They took care of the problem for no charge. Call them.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 1:48 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Biker_Bill
So sorry Michael, but I don't understand what you mean by "professional winter storage" or why you're saying goodbye to the "season." Winter in Florida offers absolutely perfect riding weather, and so is not even noticed when it arrives!

Bill
My BMW dealer has a special service where they for a small charge take care of my bike during the 4 months of winter. I translated that into "professional winter storage". Maybe a bad translation - english is not my first language ;-)

Florida sounds nice, but Denmark is more like Canada during winter which make driving impossible.

Have fun

/Michael

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode