Little mist of oil in the airbox - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2008, 4:07 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Little mist of oil in the airbox

I just did a 48,000mi. service on my '04KRS(cruise control equipped) and noticed a very slight mist of oil vapor in the airbox only around the throttle bores. Not being able to get my hand through the air filter access, I just left it for now.
What do you guys do to clean the airbox? Remove the airbox and wash it with Simple Green? How do you clean the throttle plates and bores?
Also are all the airbox to injector hoses and clamps junk after being disturbed?

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; May 6th, 2008 at 4:12 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2008, 10:09 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
I just did a 48,000mi. service on my '04KRS(cruise control equipped) and noticed a very slight mist of oil vapor in the airbox only around the throttle bores. Not being able to get my hand through the air filter access, I just left it for now.
What do you guys do to clean the airbox? Remove the airbox and wash it with Simple Green? How do you clean the throttle plates and bores?
Also are all the airbox to injector hoses and clamps junk after being disturbed?
You'll always get some oil film from the closed circuit crank case breather which connects into the airbox (I assume US specs are the same as EU). I wouln't worry about it unless it's dripping oil (worn rings and unlikely).

I've never replaced either the rubber couplings or the clips. Even a slight air leak here isn't going to make much difference. However, at throttle body to block flange, after the butterfly, that is important.

Mark the position of the screw adjusters on the 4 clamps so you get them back in the same position, They will tend to rotate as you push to tighten, making them awkward to get to next time. Test the throttle action, it's easy to get one clamp turned around and foul on the throttle cable quadrant so the grip soesn't return to the idle stop.

I use kerosene for most things, possibly a finish off with brake cleaner around the throttle bodies with a little drop of light oil on spindles or part that move.

When the airbox is off, now is the time to check the engine breather hoses (Y). Mine were all perished and not sucking back into the motor.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2008, 2:07 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
You'll always get some oil film from the closed circuit crank case breather which connects into the airbox (I assume US specs are the same as EU). I wouln't worry about it unless it's dripping oil (worn rings and unlikely).

I've never replaced either the rubber couplings or the clips. Even a slight air leak here isn't going to make much difference. However, at throttle body to block flange, after the butterfly, that is important.

Mark the position of the screw adjusters on the 4 clamps so you get them back in the same position, They will tend to rotate as you push to tighten, making them awkward to get to next time. Test the throttle action, it's easy to get one clamp turned around and foul on the throttle cable quadrant so the grip soesn't return to the idle stop.

I use kerosene for most things, possibly a finish off with brake cleaner around the throttle bodies with a little drop of light oil on spindles or part that move.

When the airbox is off, now is the time to check the engine breather hoses (Y). Mine were all perished and not sucking back into the motor.
Vox

Thanks for your input. I agree that the oil is coming from the crankcase breather, for now I'll leave it be and check again at 60K when I go in there for another air filter/ fuel filter replacement.
I have read about the damn clamps fouling the throttle action. I will be careful when assembling them.

Bruce C
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2008, 8:59 pm
Addict

I had more oil in the air box than anyone would want at less than 30,000 miles
I attribute that to having much oil in the engine.
I now keep the oil level below the center bullseye of the sight glass when the oil is hot.

Bazra
aka: The Flash
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2008, 9:17 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazra
I had more oil in the air box than anyone would want at less than 30,000 miles
I attribute that to having much oil in the engine.
I now keep the oil level below the center bullseye of the sight glass when the oil is hot.

Bazra
aka: The Flash
I keep my oil in the center of the bullseye and the consumption is less than 3oz. in 3,000mi..
My deal on cleaning up the oil mist is taking a chance on dropping a cleaning cloth or crud down one of the closed throttle bore while trying to swab out the bottom of the box and have to fish it out. Figured it's not worth the effort and I will remove the airbox at 60K if the mist turns into a puddle.
And if it's still a mist at 60K, it can stay that way til' 72K!

Bruce C
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode