Re:Fuel Mileage - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2008, 11:35 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Re:Fuel Mileage

So I might be on the wrong forum for this question, but I can not figure out why my wifes 2000 R1100S get so much poorer mileage then my 100+ lb heaver bigger motored K1200RS? I've been running consistently over 40 MPG combo driving with a personal best yesterday of 47 MPG after a 30 mile blast down I95 at 90+ MPH and she gets as low as 32 MPG and an improvement to 37 MPG after the same run with me down I95. Her bike is in a perfect state of tune and has just over 30K miles on it, she uses synthetic oil and and rides more or less like I do and if anything more conservative then I do. So I'm completely "flumixed" over this? Is there something we should look at or is this the nature of an air head over a brick motor? She used to get a little better hwy mileage then I did but not anymore so now I'm starting to wonder if there is something we should have looked at? Thanks for the help on this one.:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2008, 1:31 pm
Addict

Mileage Issue

Well, from what I pulled up on the internet, her bike is not far off from what others are getting, about mid-thirties to low forties. That being an "S" model I'm sure it has "hotter" cams/timing than let's say the RT, like comparing our RS to an LT engine. Besides having the dealer look at it I would keep fresh plugs in it, keep the valves adjusted properly, use high-octane fuel, run injector cleaner through it on a routine basis- about every three tanks, synthetic in the transmission and final drive, and run higher tire pressures than "suggested". As far as tire pressure goes, I always run a few pounds off what's on the side-wall for that particular tire "Max Tire Pressure-COLD", especially on the highway. You can then lower them when you want to play in the twists. You should only want about a 2-3 pound gain from cold to hot. Ex: If you run 32 lbs. cold, it may gain as much as 5-7lbs. due to more tire contact to the road which builds heat and expands the air more inside the tire. But, if you run 42lbs. you may only get the 2-3 lb. gain because there is less tire contact to the road. Also on tires, the heavier the bike the more pressure you want so just play around with the "gain concept". But that's just my view.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2008, 11:21 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Well wouldn't you know, we checked the tire pressure and both of them we're down over 5 LBS! So now we'll see if that helps, I know her bike used to get better mileage than this so I'm hoping this will help. Thanks for the input. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 5:28 pm

I wish I knew what I was doing wrong. I get about 32mpg with a best of 37mpg riding like I was scared of the bike. I had to fill up today with just 137.8 miles on the tripometer from the last fill and I didn't do any hard riding. Just commuting to and from work. Speeds around 80 to 90mph. I have the habit of engine breaking to stop by down shifting. Think this could be my problem? I do give little blips of throttle to get the rpm's up closer to where my speed is in order to slow down smoother when I do this. I'm at a loss here. My father can get almost 50mpg and he doesn't ride like the grampa he is either. That is quite a difference in mpg's. WTF. It's still a lot better than my jeep though...almost 3x.

"flying through hyper-space ain't like dustin' crops boy"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 12:50 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Well I can't say that I ever got 50 mpg! Is your Dad riding a K12RS? The only thing I can figure out about our bikes is that they tend to use more gas when your going through the gears more, I tend to be a lazy shifter and I use the torque of the engine all the time and will sift down as little as possible and if I can keep rolling in 6th gear with out luging down the motor to bad I'll do it, if I have to go through a lot of stop signs in a row and I don't have to stop I'll the way (with out causing any danger to my self or others) I'll do a "California stop" and stay in 3 gear or at the lowest 2nd, when I do things like this my mileage tends to stay WAY UP, if I start going through all the gears and staying in optimum RPM all the time my mileage tanks. I do have a Remus exhaust and an RW chip so that might help (or hurt?) but I don't know for sure? When I'm on our super slabs around here in Florida I'm almost always at 85 or 90 MPH and it does not ruin my mileage that I can tell and I still get around 44 or better on extended trips at those speeds, so from what I can tell our bikes like to get good fuel economy just need to know how to coax it out.:-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode