Seat recovering - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2008, 8:27 am Thread Starter

Question Seat recovering

My '98 seat is begining to look a little dowdy. I would like to keep the standard seat format, I find it comfortable enough and the wife uses a Airhawk on long journeys, and I feel the stock seat matches the bikes lines very well.

My question is can it be recovered in one piece. I know I won't be able to get an exact match to the stock BMW seat covering but I would like to recover in one piece without seams etc and avoid unsightly sags and folds in the material

( also all aftermarket seats seem to have seams which let the rain in.......we have our fair share of that in the UK)

anybody got any experience doing this

Nigeldav

Roads - the best ones always connect nowhere with nowhere and have an alternative that is quicker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2008, 12:32 pm
Enthusiast

seats

If the seat has no tears, a heavy vinyl can be put right on top of it.

If you want the old cover off, it's going to be very tedious. The vinyl is laminated to the foam. A filet knife has worked best for me, to separate the old cover from the foam. By laying the new vinyl over the seat and leaving it under a heat lamp until it's nice and hot, the vinyl will stretch and form to the seat quite nicely.

This is a cover I did for a buddy of mine...it's what he wanted.

Gray haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2008, 3:19 pm
Addict

I had mine done by some people near Gloucester. I could have picked a non-slip vinyl which definitely didn't look like stock. In the end I went for the closest they had to stock which was a very good match.

If you're going to have the stock seat recovered, consider getting them to put in gel pad inserts. It made a lot of difference to my seat and kept it the same height (may be very important), been riding on it 3 years now.

The only thing I wish I'd got them to do was change the profile at the very front to stop me moving on to the tank, perhaps widen the foam there to . But seats are all a bit personal. Wife likes the Gel pads to!

They staple the edge of the seat cover on the inside. Make sure they use stainless steel staples - they didn't on mine. If you have Gel pad inserts ask them about some sort of heat reflecting layer between the pad and the seat cover. If I leave the bike in hot sun, the pads get so hot I can't ride it until the seat cools!

If you can find somewhere local that's best, because they like to see you sitting in your normal riding position. If you've added bar risers, it can change the stock seat setup.

I can't find the place I used, but here's another, search Google UK:

http://www.ppseat.co.uk/

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 2:35 pm
Addict

Seat

Hey Nige,
Go to the home page, click on the Kontour Seats link listed in the Supporting Vendors area. Give them a shout, they're great people. I bought a used seat on IBMWR.org/marketplace and sent that one to the people at Kontour to re-work. They do beautiful work. Drop them an e-mail and see what happens.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2008, 2:45 pm
Addict

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode