Sore left palm....don't go there...lol - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 5:10 pm Thread Starter

Sore left palm....don't go there...lol

OK. I have only been riding a little over a thousand miles and less than a month. The riding position is great, the comfort level is fantastic. I have even grown accustom to the quietness of the stock muffler and stealthy riding. So why is it that if I ride with both hands on the handle bars the left palm gets sore in less than 30 minutes. I can ride with right hand only and that takes care of the problem. The right hand does not get sore. Ride with the left only and just a matter of minutes the palm get sore right in the center. Is it because our bikes pull to the right and using the left hand there is constant pressure to keep it straight? Stock grips also. I have never experienced this with any other bike I have owned. I also am not putting weight on my wrists while riding. I am using the suggested riding style that is in one of the forum articles that was suggested by a member.
Thoughts? Suggestions....other than switching hands...lol.
a
friend
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 8:40 pm
Veteran

When I ride i dont grip the bars...I just let the grips float just using finger tips...If your gettin a strong pull then you need to look further into the causing problem....Lots of read in here about that......relax....let your arms just float...elbow bent...and just use the finger tips....youll save big time stress on your arms shoulders and hands....give it a try....good luck...But look into your pull problem..
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 8:52 pm

Riding should primarily be a leg excercise. Put more weight on the footpegs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2008, 4:51 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes180
OK. I have only been riding a little over a thousand miles and less than a month. The riding position is great, the comfort level is fantastic. I have even grown accustom to the quietness of the stock muffler and stealthy riding. So why is it that if I ride with both hands on the handle bars the left palm gets sore in less than 30 minutes. I can ride with right hand only and that takes care of the problem. The right hand does not get sore. Ride with the left only and just a matter of minutes the palm get sore right in the center. Is it because our bikes pull to the right and using the left hand there is constant pressure to keep it straight? Stock grips also. I have never experienced this with any other bike I have owned. I also am not putting weight on my wrists while riding. I am using the suggested riding style that is in one of the forum articles that was suggested by a member.
Thoughts? Suggestions....other than switching hands...lol.
a
friend
David
I know what You mean. I've got the KGT bars and comfort screen on my KRS for a bit more height. I do a lot of city riding so it is quite difficult to keep weight off the bars as there is less wind at lower speeds to give the balance.

Looking at my BMW bars I feel they should be more outwards in angle for my hand position, say 3-4 degrees. But that's fixed.

The rubber grips are still original and quite hard now. I'm thinking if trying some tennis raquet handle rubber or cycle inner tube. Also I followed what everybody said about putting a bit more pressure in the front tire to get more mileage. I've now gone back to recommended for a softer front ride to stop the jarring I used to get in my hands.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2008, 9:58 am Thread Starter

PTTR survey and solutions 'thanks

I have done some extensive searching and reading on this very real, very well documented ongoing problem on this forum. Man this forum is fantastic resource. I complement you folks for a job well done! It seems that there have been many bandaids applied to this problem. And I am ready to try some of the less technical....lol. The post from DaveTheAffable seems more my style.

He eventually added about 10lbs to left side of the bike....worth a quick try.

#27 Jun 27th, 2006, 1:25 am
DaveTheAffable
Senior Member Join Date: May 2006

Me Too.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'02 K1200RS, Metzlers, 5" rear rim (I thiink), ~11,000 miles (total...not on the Metzlers!)

The pad of my left hand hurts after after an hour of riding. Pulling in on the right bar alleves the pain...lol. I too can elliminate the right drift by hanging off on the left. Crown of road does not matter. I tested in several parking lots, low speed and high. I have not yet removed my rear wheel to see what size (if any) spacer I have. I'm looking forward to a solution though!

By the way. I bought my bike a month ago. My wife thinks I'm dreaming of another women in my sleep...I keep saying, "Wheeeeee"

2002 K12RS
Dave
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2008, 12:30 pm
Addict

I had a 2002 K1200RS and it had the smaller rear rim and tire. I did not experience much if any drifting to the right and I had no pain in my left hand.
After 35,000 miles I bought a 2004 K1200RS, it has the larger rear tire and rim. Immediately I experienced the drifting to the right and after 20 minutes of ridding I had pain in my left palm after my first ride. The entire bike felt different.

These bikes have an offset track. This was done to balance the bikes weight. It worked fine with the smaller rear tire.
I also use the Wilson racket tape that has padding on my grips. It helps quite the vibration and the palm pain.

I now have 33,000 miles on the 2004 and used many tires. Most of them Michelins. I have a set of Metzler M3 on now with about 3,000 on them. I don't have the drift to the right, or it is minimal and my left palm does not have pain.

best of luck
Bazra
aka: The Flash
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2008, 6:48 pm
Addict-oholic

I solved my problem by buying a set of faom grips that go over the original grips. Softer and fatter, so you don't have to grip hard on a small grip, easier on a fatter grip, less pressure!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2008, 2:20 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes180

He eventually added about 10lbs to left side of the bike....worth a quick try.
If you're comfortable with shifting your weight to the left, you can confirm the "add weight fix".

I run into the same kind of thing on trips to Texas. The wind blows from the left or right, and depending on how much determines how much I shift to the right or left. The wind causes the bike to lean into the wind, and subsequently turns the bike toward the wind. I don't have to shift much, and eventually the road turns or the wind goes somewhere else.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2008, 7:07 pm

Sore left palm

Interesting topic since Iíve noticed the issue myself and hadnít really thought why but was prompted to while riding because of this thread. Basics; I have a 2004 K12GT with very new Metzler tires. With cruise control on, I donít see any drift and donít really feel drift. What I notice is that physiologically, I am putting more pressure on the left palm since the right is controlling the throttle and as in most bikes, itís very sensitive to movement affecting the acceleration or lack thereof so I naturally apply more pressure to the left while the right is busy twisting. On really hot days I might forego gloves and it gets to the point where my left hand is getting numb after a while but with gloves on itís not nearly as bad so Iíve been keeping the gloves on as much as possible and I know itís the safer way anyway. A few minutes behind a dirt hauling truck on the freeway will make that very clear. Another observation was that slowing down really applied the pressure and a factor relevant to these bikes is that they are so damn fast, we might be forced to slow down more than other bikes. I also notice with my wife on the back, I have more pressure slowing down with her momentum behind me and it also contributes to the effect. Iím trying to let the grips float in my hands like BAK04GT mentioned and it helps.
BTW, first post here. Great site and Iím glad to be part of the community. Picked up my GT a couple of months ago after a 2 year hiatus after putting my 98 LT down on the freeway at 65 MPH. One of those trapped moments with nowhere to go other than down and slide while in a commute lane without enough distance between me and the cars in front. I hope Iíve learned from that and am back in the saddle.
Regards, digitalxrayguy
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2008, 7:33 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digxrayguy
Interesting topic since Iíve noticed the issue myself and hadnít really thought why but was prompted to while riding because of this thread. Basics; I have a 2004 K12GT with very new Metzler tires. With cruise control on, I donít see any drift and donít really feel drift. What I notice is that physiologically, I am putting more pressure on the left palm since the right is controlling the throttle and as in most bikes, itís very sensitive to movement affecting the acceleration or lack thereof so I naturally apply more pressure to the left while the right is busy twisting. On really hot days I might forego gloves and it gets to the point where my left hand is getting numb after a while but with gloves on itís not nearly as bad so Iíve been keeping the gloves on as much as possible and I know itís the safer way anyway. A few minutes behind a dirt hauling truck on the freeway will make that very clear. Another observation was that slowing down really applied the pressure and a factor relevant to these bikes is that they are so damn fast, we might be forced to slow down more than other bikes. I also notice with my wife on the back, I have more pressure slowing down with her momentum behind me and it also contributes to the effect. Iím trying to let the grips float in my hands like BAK04GT mentioned and it helps.
BTW, first post here. Great site and Iím glad to be part of the community. Picked up my GT a couple of months ago after a 2 year hiatus after putting my 98 LT down on the freeway at 65 MPH. One of those trapped moments with nowhere to go other than down and slide while in a commute lane without enough distance between me and the cars in front. I hope Iíve learned from that and am back in the saddle.
Regards, digitalxrayguy

" Get back on that horse and ride ride ride"...(On Golden Pond)..."But i hate horses"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode