Need suggestion about storing the KRS for the Winter - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2005, 11:12 am Thread Starter

Need suggestion about storing the KRS for the Winter

Hello everyone,

Yeterday I filled the gas thank and added about 3 fluid ounces of Sabil. After that I rode about 20 miles to my way home.

Today I was thinking to store the bike in the basement of my house because I don't have a garage and I have two more bikes in special buillt shed for them, so I ran out

Here is the question: Since I never stored a bike inside the house before I would like to know if there is any reason why I should not do that. I taped the lid of the gas tank with clear masking tape so there wouldn't be any smell leaking from the gas tank.

The basement is usually 70 degrees and there is no furnace or fireplace anywhere near to where I plan to park the bike.

If anyone know of any serious risk about me storing the bike inside I would appreciate letting me know.

TIA

Pier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2005, 1:38 pm
Veteran

Need suggestion about storing the KRS for the Winter

Ride it..don't store it..
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2005, 2:31 pm

RS Storage

My 00 RS is in my garage with the battery disconnected, its clean and covered, Getting one inside might be hard, I don't store any of my bikes outside (Michigan weather).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2005, 4:09 pm
Addict

personally i wouldn't store my bike or any other gasoline engine vehicle to inlcude lawn mowers inside my house basement included. a friend of mine brought his HD into his house and as soon as you walked in you smelled the stink of gasoline. in my opinion the risks of fumes finding their way to some flame source is to great to chance storing the bike inside your house. even without the threat of fire who wants their house to reek of gasoline???? if you do decide to bring the bike in you'd better make sure the basement is well ventilated. i live in PA, don't have a garage and i simply keep the RS outside all winter. i do keep it covered with a inexpensive bike cover i paid 50 bucks for. i've had my RS for 3 years now through 3 winters and she still looks just as good as the day i bought her. keep the bike outside, keep it clean and keep it covered and it will be OK. it's a motorcycle for goodness sake...motorcycles are made to be outside not inside.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2005, 4:30 pm
Noob

Talking

Live somewhere you can ride all year round

2005 K1200S
ABS | ESA | Remus exhaust | K1300S luggage rack | Sargent seat | BMW panniers
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2005, 8:54 pm

I think that, if proper precautions are taken, you can safely store your bike in your basement and not have any smells. I base this off of friends that store lawn and garden equipment, boats, bikes and ATVs for years without any problems.

OK....maybe they were just lucky and who are any of us to be giving you advice on your safety? Seriously, I would contact my local fire department and ask them. Many will send someone out to advise you....for free! Be prepared though, some cities have ordinances against storing vehicles in living areas.

Randy

P.S.

FWIW, to me, taping the gas cap is a waste since our cap seals quite well and the tape is going to be a pain to remove after many months. There is a vent line that feeds out the bottom of the bike anyway.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2005, 6:17 am
"Hey Y'all"

Basement, are you nuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pier1
.......... thinking to store the bike in the basement of my house because ............
a) It's cold outside.
b) I can walk down the steps and look at it.
c) That's where the wax is.
d) It would get wet outside.
e) all the above.

e- Go for it. We have a drive in basement for two vehicles. The other half of the basement is a workshop, laundry, and motorcycle parking area. Basement garages are incredibly popular here. Besides, think how clean it will be by the time spring rolls around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clean.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	706  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2005, 6:26 am
Throttle Jockey

Pier, funny you should mention it. A few years ago I was going through a divorce and was living in a studio apartment (first floor of a house ground level). I had no place to put my Ducati for the winter, so in the apartment it went. If the bike's vapor recovery system is in tact, I wouldn't worry about the risk of fire or the smell of gasoline. I left the bike uncovered on stands. It was a nice conversation piece. Did I tell the landlord.... no. Did I tell the fire department... no. Don't even think about telling your insurance company. I was just lucky that the landlord never had to set foot in the apartment, I don't think he would have been too happy about it. I'm not advising you to do this, but I did it, and when I was married and had a bike, it was in the basement every winter because I had no garage. By the way, the divorce worked out nicely. I traded in my ex-wife for my K bike.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2005, 1:14 pm

I store several of my vintage MXers in the house without undue odors. But then I don't have a wife to bitch about it and my dog doesn't seem to give a damn.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2005, 1:40 pm
Looking for better limits...

Garage it for the winter?

Wazzat???

Forcast this week

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode