Re:Uneven Tire Wear - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2008, 6:25 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Re:Uneven Tire Wear

I have Avon ST tires on my "02" K12RS (1st time with Avon's) and they have about 1800 maybe 2000 miles on them and the wear is quite good but the front tire is wearing on just one side with some VERY pronounced cupping and I CAN NOT figure out why!? I am not an aggressive driver and in fact my rear tire is wearing "square" because I don't get into corners much. What would cause this kind of front tire wear and what should I start looking for? Thanks for the help.:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2008, 7:23 pm
"DELIVERS"

If you had your tires mounted for you and the mileage is documented, I would say you have a case with Avon for a free replacement.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2008, 7:36 pm
Enthusiast

The BT020's that the bike came originally with and the second set both exhibited the same behavior although at higher miles than you are stating. I would try for another set from the manufacturer as suggested by the previous poster and if you continue to have the same problem switch to a different brand.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2008, 6:57 am
Faster than poop

Question What causes cupping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007007
the front tire is wearing on just one side with some VERY pronounced cupping and I CAN NOT figure out why!? What would cause this kind of front tire wear and what should I start looking for?
I've got the same question. My local BMW mechanic said cupping happens on all shaft drive bikes. It happened on my '88 R100RS Metzler's, but not at such very low mileage.

So, what causes cupping on m/c tires? Worn shocks? I don't see what shaft drive could have to do with it, especially in front.

Live fast. Eat carrots.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2008, 8:25 am
Veteran

I only had the front tire cup on BT020's. Never on Michelin Pilot Road or Pirelli Diablo Strada's.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2008, 5:11 pm
Looking for better limits...

Metzeler Z4's cupped when the bike was new. Pilot Roads did too, just not as much. Z6's showed a little bit, but it was hardly noticible.

Coincided with my riding getting better and no longer braking in the corners. At least, that's what I was told, and it made sense to me at the time.

But, if you do a search on the BT 020's, you'll see a lot of cupping issues mentioned (lion's share, actually).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2008, 8:25 pm
Enthusiast

I'm running with the Z6's now and as I mentioned I have very little trouble with them besides going through a set every 8-10k miles.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2008, 9:42 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Re:Uneven Tire Wear

It sounds to me like the common denominator here is the use of the front brakes? I was talking to my wife who rides a 2000 R1100S and uses the same tires as I do and we just noticed the same tire wear on her bike as well (she has about twice the miles that I do) and she said that she uses her front brakes predominately as well. So could that be it? If that is it then there is some sort of dynamics going on that is "killing" our tread life and this is new for me as my Honda (CX-500T) would go through two sets of rear tires to ever one tire up front and the same was true with all my other motorcycle buddies. I guess having a big heavy power house of a bike like ours changes things?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2008, 11:04 pm
Enthusiast

I use the 'front' brake lever almost exclusively since that is the once that is linked directly to the ABS. I primarily only use the foot brake at slow speeds, in parking lots, etc.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2008, 11:37 pm

What are you running for tire pressures?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode