new windshield - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 8:48 am Thread Starter

new windshield

I have an 03 K12RS. For a while now I've wanted a new (larger) shield for over the road. I read a lot of posts here hailing the Aero, Cee Bailey etc. Only a couple of posts I saw mentioned the GT comfort shield as a good option.
Since the idea of spending 300-400 on a piece of clear plastic. made me want to throw-up, I opted for the $130. GT comfort shield. I installed it last week.
It rocks.
Low position on the GT shield is like high on the RS shield. High on the GT shield is really great at over 45 mph. I've only had it up to about 80 so far and there was no noticeable buffeting or noise. The bars do touch the shield just sligthly when in low position and full lock. I don't think it will be a problem though.
I don't know what the other shields are actually like but I can definitely recommend the GT shield for an RS. The savings allows me to get new driving lights for the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 4:23 pm
"DELIVERS"

Funny....I recommend the RS shield for the GT....different strokes....

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 5:51 pm
Will ride for picts

Yep, I run an RS windscreen on my GT also.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 6:53 pm Thread Starter

Why? Do you guys like the air flow better being in the hot region?
Chicago wind gets to be a bit harsh sometimes. I also ride in winter so I'm hoping to cut the windchill.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 7:45 pm
Looking for better limits...

I have a Ztecknic and a comfort windshield. The comfort one goes on when the weather here starts to get bad (hey...we all have our comfort level...) so the wind gets pushed up to the helmet. Gets noisy too, in that I have to wear ear plugs with the comfort shield on. The shorter Ztechec in the warmer parts of the year puts the turbulence at my chest and my helmet is in clean air. Cooler in the hot days with the shorter shield, too. Unless it gets to be above 105ºF, then nothing really feels cool.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 7:54 pm
"DELIVERS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
I have a Ztecknic and a comfort windshield. The comfort one goes on when the weather here starts to get bad (hey...we all have our comfort level...) so the wind gets pushed up to the helmet. Gets noisy too, in that I have to wear ear plugs with the comfort shield on. The shorter Ztechec in the warmer parts of the year puts the turbulence at my chest and my helmet is in clean air. Cooler in the hot days with the shorter shield, too. Unless it gets to be above 105ºF, then nothing really feels cool.
Ditto for the RS shield. Plus it makes keeping weight off the bars a lot easier. Instead of a comfort shield I use the laminar lip on the RS screen in the winter. In the 'up' position air is pushed completely over my helmet.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2008, 9:51 pm

GT windshield and the handguards in the cooler weather made a lot of difference for me this winter.

"We deal in lead, friend"
----------------------------
'04 K12RS (capri blue)
'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'00 HD Road King
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 10:48 am
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugWest
Chicago wind gets to be a bit harsh sometimes. I also ride in winter so I'm hoping to cut the windchill.
Its not about temperature. I gaurrantee that Chicago is hotter than Minden, NV. We're nestled against the Sierra Nevada mountains; I can see the ski runs at Heavenly Ski Resort from my driveway.

Its about noise and a bit of buffeting for me. The GT windscreen in the low position is noisy, at the upper its great, but I don't like riding with the screen up all the time (except in winter). The RS windscreen leaves my helmet completely in clean air, not in the turbulent zone caused by the windscreen.

I haven't bothered to switch windscreens the last two winters; just turn up the Gerbings a bit higher!

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 10:48 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugWest

If you are 5'10" or shorter, a Laminar Lip mounted on a GT windscreen will eliminate all the buffeting and wind noise associated with the stock GT windscreen. It's so still that you can ride with your faceshield open, no earplugs and just catch a slight breeze through your helmet.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2008, 12:51 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
If you are 5'10" or shorter, a Laminar Lip mounted on a GT windscreen will eliminate all the buffeting and wind noise associated with the stock GT windscreen. It's so still that you can ride with your faceshield open, no earplugs and just catch a slight breeze through your helmet.
I'm 5'9' and that is exactly what I want. The part fiche through Hammersly lists a High windshield part # 46637663 115. Is that it? What about Ztechnic screens, I had one on an LT and liked it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode