Replace it - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 7:24 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Replace it

I am talking here about the two hoses you can see, just under the plastic, top left corner as you replace your oil filler cap.

Noticed a stain had been increasing, wiped finger on the hose and detected petrol. Fortunately I did no more.

Got home and applied a pair of long nose pliars to the hose. Damn thing fell apart. This is a quick release connector for the two hoses, petrol in, and return.

Rang my trusty service man. "It is broken isnt it? I have spares."

He tells me that he now replaces the MALE connector as a matter of course every time a K bike comes in. Should be subject to a recall, but it is not. THEY WILL fail you, and not when you are coasting into the garage, but when you are miles from any where and the sun is going down.

If you have a look at the pissy little plastic pipe that is involved, then obviously it has to break. Replacement is metal. My service man tells me age and vibration will do it for sure, my bike is a Dec 2003 model.

I earnestly recommend you dont leave home without one. Metal replacement part that is.

Oh. And it is easiest done before the thing breaks leaving a part inside the rubber. You will see a little metal tab on top. That is the female. Press the tab and pull the connector out. You now have the male on your right. That is the one to replace. Price? Forget the notes, use your card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 7:38 pm
Veteran

Unfortunately you have learned the hard way what has been preached on this site for over 1 1/2 years about the complete and utter failure of the stock QD's and where to buy metal replacements.
Hope you can get the gas stain off the engine covers. With US. grade fuel, it's hit or miss on getting it all off.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 10:50 pm
Will ride for picts

Papilio, you should try looking at the other parts of the website besides the Humor forum. But please keep posting the jokes. We need more humor here!

As Bruceha says, this has been a well documented problem on these bikes for at least two or three years now. Welcome to the rest of the forum!

The part that failed looked like this?

The parts you need are:

The broken part after removal from bike (with rubber o-ring still attached). I just replaced the male end and left the plastic female end on the bike. I haven't replaced the second line QD yet, but keep the spare metals with me on the bike. I'll get around to it sooner or later.

More pics of the fuel quick-disconnect here:
http://www.rhhall.smugmug.com/gallery/2647919_hfSwh/1

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2008, 11:51 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

huh?

Well if you would throw in a few more damn jokes I could concentrate on the real issues.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2008, 7:55 am
Addict

true dat!!!!

just finished a 43k mile service in my garage. had read about the qd problem so much, had to order metal ones from omega. it was a bit tough getting the plastic ones off the gas lines, but all is well now. no more worries.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2008, 8:32 am
Veteran

Save the "good" plastic QD. It comes in handy to drain the tank!!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2008, 6:27 pm
Looking for better limits...

Omega has both the metal (chrome-plated brass) and the plastic ones. Metal FTW...

FT-LCD220-05-FKM
FT-LCD170-05-FKM

The "FKM" suffix is for the Viton "O" ring. It's recommended over the Buna-N "O" ring that normally ships with the order. And, since you asked, "FKM" is the generic term for the material, while "Viton" is the DuPont verson of the material. Allows Omega to use any source rather than just DuPont.

Suckers may be plastic, but they're a bitch to get out of the gas line. You have to seriously want them out to get them out.

Oh and the one with the quick-release button is the pressure side...think about some method of clamping the fuel line without damaging it (no direct contact by vice-grips) prior to removing the connector. Vice-grips with two tongue depressors between the hose and the vice-grips could be used.

Takes about an hour and a half, counting the time to get the plastic off and on.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 3:46 pm

When installing, don't forget to reverse the male / female order on each hose pair so you don't connect the wrong lines together. e.g. top line have the male connector forward, bottom line have the female connector forward, or vice versa. Beats having to label them. Ditto on the bitch of a job getting the plastic ones separated from the hose.

"If everything's coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."
'04 K1200GT / '01 R1200C - Savannah, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode