Used bike warranties? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2005, 9:54 am Thread Starter
Noob

Used bike warranties?

I just purchased an 03 K1200RS and plan to pick it up this weekend. I asked the seller about extended warranty possibilities and he referred me to this site. Can anyone give me information on used bike warranties that are worth buying. I live in Alabama. Thanks for any advice !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:11 am

If your bike is still covered by the manufacturers warranty then you can purchase an extended warranty.

Do a google search or check with your local BMW dealer for extended warranties.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:47 am

I started a thread about warranties on the old forum, and a couple of guys said they got BMW warranties. I understood BMW didn't offer those, unless things have changed. Does BMW offer one now that can be purchased by an original owner still under warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2005, 11:28 am Thread Starter
Noob

I'll find out tomorrow when my local dealer opens and let everyone know. Thanks~!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2005, 11:35 am

BMW extended warranty

I was able to purchase a four year extended warranty through my local BMW dealer, but it was through a third party provider. I had to purchase prior to the last month of the factory warranty though.

Including ABS coverage, I paid $1080.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2005, 11:39 am
"DELIVERS"

Red face used bike warranties

The extended warranties are through a third party, but the dealer will handle the paperwork on a bike bought from them.....don't know about a bike not bought from a dealer....you may have to do the legwork yourself.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2005, 2:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
The extended warranties are through a third party, but the dealer will handle the paperwork on a bike bought from them.....don't know about a bike not bought from a dealer....you may have to do the legwork yourself.
Only exception is for some relatively new bikes sold by dealers. BMW has (or used to have) a program that let dealers sell used bike with a factory warranty that's pretty much like a new bike. Not for the original total of 36k/3 yrs, but 36k/3yrs from time of purchase used.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

warranty info.

I just got off the phone with my local BMW dealer and they will not sell me a third party warranty. The only way they will sell me anything is if they buy the bike and then sell it to me. I went online and looked up a dealership called Bob's BMW and they sell a 4 year extended warranty w/unlimited mileage that covers ABS for $1343.00 with a $50.00 deduct. I know a warranty is a crap shoot but are these warranties that are sold after the manufactures warranty ends any good???? The girl I talked to is mailing me a contract and a list of exclusions. Just so you know what I'm dealing with, its for a 03 K12RS with 8000 miles. Thanks for any feedback. Cole
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmntgo100
I just got off the phone with my local BMW dealer and they will not sell me a third party warranty. The only way they will sell me anything is if they buy the bike and then sell it to me. I went online and looked up a dealership called Bob's BMW and they sell a 4 year extended warranty w/unlimited mileage that covers ABS for $1343.00 with a $50.00 deduct. I know a warranty is a crap shoot but are these warranties that are sold after the manufactures warranty ends any good???? The girl I talked to is mailing me a contract and a list of exclusions. Just so you know what I'm dealing with, its for a 03 K12RS with 8000 miles. Thanks for any feedback. Cole
Personally...I think they are a waste. Unless the bike is your only mode of transportation, I would pass on the extended, just my opinion. Realize that 3rd party is just that. Folks that are betting that you will never file a claim, They could careless about your satisfaction with the bike if you did, unlike a manufacture. Personally, I am a gambling man, I will take my odds and money. If you do, read the very fine print on what is covered. My 2 cents.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:22 pm

Your missing one important point

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy45320
Personally...I think they are a waste. Unless the bike is your only mode of transportation, I would pass on the extended, just my opinion. Realize that 3rd party is just that. Folks that are betting that you will never file a claim, They could careless about your satisfaction with the bike if you did, unlike a manufacture. Personally, I am a gambling man, I will take my odds and money. If you do, read the very fine print on what is covered. My 2 cents.

The extended warranty will transfer to a new owner. At least mine does with Pinnacle. So, should I decided to sell the bike, an 02 in say 08, the new owner gets one full year of warranty. I believe I could easily recoup some of my initial expense along with the additional three years of peace of mind in the sale price.

To each their own though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode