is the k1200rs a good sport tourer - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 2:15 pm Thread Starter

is the k1200rs a good sport tourer

Howdy
Looking for a new sport-tourer and the K1200rs has really caught my eye. I can find some 2002-2003 models that are in my $$ range, but I am wondering if the seating is too extreme, and if I would be better off on a k1200s. No disrespect meant, but I tried the 1200gt and it did not quite do it for me.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 3:17 pm
Noob

Try Some Add Ons

What didn't you like about your GT? All things considered, I loved my '03GT but didn't like it for long distance traveling - the very thing it was built for. All that changed when I purchased a Bill Mayer saddle. I just finished putting 3.5k on it in a week and loved every minute of it. The new saddle puts me about an 1" further aft and 3/4" higher which made all the difference in the world. Just a thought.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 7:39 pm
Addict

Bikes are a very personal fit. I at 62 yrs old can ride my K1200RS all day and have no pains. It fits me. Seat and bars are stock. I have put 70,000 miles on and still love the bike.
It is more touring than sport. I have to really hang-off the sides and scrape the hell out of the pegs in the canyons to stay with the real sport bikes. I use Sport bike tires M3 Metz.

If you want more sport by all means the K1200S is better, in every way.
I would love one if I had the money, but I never rode one so i don't know if it would fit me. Friends have told me if I rode one I would trade in my K1200RS in a heart beat.
I had better stay off them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2008, 1:44 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineK
What didn't you like about your GT? All things considered, I loved my '03GT but didn't like it for long distance traveling - the very thing it was built for. All that changed when I purchased a Bill Mayer saddle. I just finished putting 3.5k on it in a week and loved every minute of it. The new saddle puts me about an 1" further aft and 3/4" higher which made all the difference in the world. Just a thought.
Better question is which version of the K1200GT was he referring to?

The older "Classic" GT is really a K1200RS with RS-optional equipment as standard equipment. The NextGen GT is a far different beast than its predecessor.

Having said that...everyone I know of that had a RS/GT and have migrated to the K1200S have not looked back. I know of one couple that travel half-way across the country 2-up for two-week vacation and absolutely love it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2008, 2:52 pm Thread Starter

Hey tahnks

I test drove a 2003 gt and felt somewhat underwhelmed. I am looking for something sporty but not extreme so that ma ol' back can take 300-500 mile days for consecutive days. But I do not want something heavy since I would like to pursue gravel roads every once in a while.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2008, 3:20 pm
Veteran

Go look at a Triumph Tiger.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2008, 7:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaderRider
Hey tahnks

I test drove a 2003 gt and felt somewhat underwhelmed. I am looking for something sporty but not extreme so that ma ol' back can take 300-500 mile days for consecutive days. But I do not want something heavy since I would like to pursue gravel roads every once in a while.
Well, I'm 50 this year, and 500 miles on my '02 K1200RS is done without much discomfort. K1200S is a different bike, and 'RS owners who were happy and moved up, are just as happy.

Yes, the 'RS is heavier, and isn't nimble at low speeds, but for distance, power, and twisties, I like it.

If you want the distance and twisties only... the RT is a great bike.

...and...uhh.. none of these mentioned are really good in 'gravel' (?) Try the GS for that!

"Lord, Be Kind to Me....the Sea is
So Big, and My Boat is SO Small"

2002 K12RS
Dave
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2008, 10:28 pm
Enthusiast

I guess it also depends on what you are willing to do to get the bike to 'fit'. I ride with the seat on my '03 GT in the high position, a set of bar-backs and a peg lowering kit. All of these things together and I can go about 800 miles a day.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 10:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlajoie
I guess it also depends on what you are willing to do to get the bike to 'fit'. I ride with the seat on my '03 GT in the high position, a set of bar-backs and a peg lowering kit. All of these things together and I can go about 800 miles a day.
Well stated but...... you sacrafice handling as your center of gravity is higher(you're already 6'2" probably), and your leverage and ground clearance in the twisties suffers as well. However you gain long distance comfort on the freeway. So it definately is a trade off.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 2:52 pm

The K1200RS is NOT a sport touring machine (IMHO)

I'm not sure what the K1200RS is, but, it's NOT a sport tourer in my humble opinion.
Sure, it's powerful, and it handles wonderfully, and it's smooth all almost all RPM.

What a sport tourer must have, IMHO, that the (99) K1200RS does not is ...
- The seat must be comfortable (the K12RS pitches you too far forward)
- The windshield must shield you from the wind (the K12RS buffets you)
- The handlebar position must be comfortable (it's certainly not, for me)
- The footpeg position must be comfortable (it's definitely not for me)
- The number of miles per tank should be large (200 miles is barely enough, IMHO)

REFERENCE POINT:
- I have both windshields (both stink and neither stays in the high position)
- I have both seats (neither of which is comfortable in either of the two positions)
- I have Ohlins which work fine as shocks
- I have lowered footpegs and barbacks on the handlebars, neither of which makes the seating position any more comfortable
- The rest of the bike is stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode