Verholen bar backs - anyone used them - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2005, 12:30 pm Thread Starter

Verholen bar backs - anyone used them

I just bought a K12RS in Sept. and have already put over 2000 miles on it. Get a back and shoulder ache on every ride. I'm thinking it's the reach to the bars. Being 5'3" doesn't help.
There is already an RCU bar back installed but I feel I'm still reaching way up there.

Anyone have or had experience using the Verholen bar backs? Good? Bad?I'm thinking of getting the longest, 65mm. I was told they made a 100mm version but cables and wires will be too short so they discontinued them. Is Pirate the best place to buy them?

Any other options? Convertibars (too expensive)? Making your own?

Thanking all of you in advance.

Teri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2005, 9:29 pm
Enthusiast

Barbacks

I started with the American Machine 35's, but now run the Verholen 65's. Got'em from Pirate about a year ago...best price I could find. They're not too popular, so you will likely have to alert him that you want a pair so he can get them ordered with his other Verholen stuff.

They are not as long as you would think (the 65mm sounds huge), but make a substantial difference in comfort. I'm 5'-11" and wear a 35 shirt sleeve, and the web between my thumbs and first finger is still about 1.25 to 1.5" from the bars when sitting upright, so there's just a little forward lean.

As to cables and wires... When I bought my bike I installed the 35's immediately as I couldn't take the leaning forward. Got the dealer to extend the front brake cable (clutch was fine), and rode away.

When I got the Verholens I found the brake side still OK, clutch OK, throttle cables tighter, but even tighter wiring bundles on both sides. I clipped a Ty-Rap or two and loosened them, but now keep a close watch to make sure they don't abrade while touching the triple tree. May eventually route them behind the forks when I get the time.

Remember, you don't have to set the bars all the way back to start. If there's something that needs lengthening you can still ride in the meatime. By the way, Pirate's been running the 65's on his fancy K1200RS all along. He just sold the bike, but he had them polished to a chrome finish.

He can't tell you the meaning of the 35mm, the 65mm and so forth because he's too impatient to learn anything new. He's 50 now you know, and so he's become just another old fool. Don't bother asking him what the 65mm means. He doesn't have a clue. Fact is, he got mad when I questioned him about it for more than the 15 seconds of time he allows customers who want to know something. I finally figured out it's the distance from the front pad bolt centerline to the bar attachment bolt centerline when set at maximum extension.

Buy'em... You sure won't regret it. I'm older now, so take a Tylenol on departure. I still get a minor backache after a full day's ride, but it was one hell of a lot worse before.

Last edited by K_Biker_Bill; Nov 21st, 2005 at 9:35 pm.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:25 pm

Verholen bar backs

I recently installed a set on my 03 K12GT.
I love them. They make the riding position just so much more comfortable.
I can't tell you the exact new price as I bought mine second hand off a guy in Queensland Australia. He said to expect about Aus$800 = about US$600 plus postage (ie they aren't cheap).
The kit comes with an extended brake cable which you will probably need to have fitted by a bike mechanic as this requires bleeding the ABS brakes (something only an experienced mechanic should do as it is a bit tricky I am led to believe).
If you have heated grips, you may need to have their electrical cables extended as well.
All the other cables are ok (though some need to be re-routed to the seat side of the stearing column).
If you want I can send a picture of my setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:34 pm
Veteran

Talking

Impatient?? Me?

BTW.. My new year's resolution will be that in 2006, I will give each customer a full 20 seconds of undivided attention... ;-)

You old codger... er.. I mean.. you fellow old codger..

PS... I always used 30mm Verholens.. Polished, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Biker_Bill
Fact is, he got mad when I questioned him about it for more than the 15 seconds of time he allows customers who want to know something.

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 9:40 am
Rookie

I've got the electric Verholens on my '03 GT. Make a big difference. Would not have kept the bike if I hadn't been able to fit bar backs. The dollar is stronger right now and you might be able to get a reasonable price - I think Verholen pretty much priced themselves out of the US market in the last few years.

Thor Anderson
K1200GT
R100GS
Africa Twin
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 6:02 pm
Enthusiast

Gila needs to check

I think we're all talking about several different Verholen items here. Charper bought the official kit from them that includes a group of accessories. Traveler evidently has the electrically adjustable handlebars they offer (for a small fortune too).

I think (thought), you were just talking about regular barbacks. I took a quick look at Pirate's website and as I remembered, he still has the regular items. I believe at one time he offered the electrically adjustable set, but they were priced in the hundreds of dollars as I recall. I've never actually seen a pair.

I didn't think that the 50 year old Pirate would even see my posting, and now he's struck back already, proving that he's everywhere and cannot be avoided. Likely he will double-charge my credit card for anything I order from him from now on, and cut me off from ever talking to Amber again as well.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

Thank you to all that have replied. Yes, I was asking about the regular (cheaper) bar backs.

In Pirate's defense, he did provide the information I was looking for. Maybe now I can get a discount!!!! Are you reading this Jerry?

Will be ordering a set today.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 6:27 pm

This is what 40mm barbacks look like, compared to std RS in the far back position.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BarBack2.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	854  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 10:52 am

Verholen

Verholen also has adjustables that are manual, they are almost affordable. In the high position they are very comfortable for cruising, but if you want to give her the bike doesn't handle as well. The adjustables give you the best of both worlds, up for comfort and down for agressive curves. Here is a link- http://shop.verholen.de/

Hope this info is of use to somebody.

05 K1200GT Titanium Silver Metallic
I'm living well above my means, but far below my standards.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:28 am

this is interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Impatient?? Me?

BTW.. My new year's resolution will be that in 2006, I will give each customer a full 20 seconds..
Would this 20 seconds be per year, per month, per day, per call, or via Amber???

As for the barbacks, I say order a set and try them for a month. If you don't like the verholen handling, then remove barbacks and drop the bars into the lowest position and bring up the pegs to the high position.

ONON-
Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode