Helmet Speakers - Opinions??? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2008, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

Helmet Speakers - Opinions???

Hello all,

I am looking to purchase some helmet speakers that will work with my MP3 Player. I was wondering if anyone has any opinons as to which brand/type/model etc.... Good or bad info would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Billymac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 1:39 am

I tried several types but they were still drowned out by wind noise . I ended up purchasing a set of er6i earphones . Not much bass for my taste but they really block out the wind noise.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 6:04 am
Enthusiast

If you really want to do it right then get a set of custom molded in-ear speakers. There are several companies out there. I got mine from Big Ear and I'm pleased with them. The speakers aren't hi-fidelity for sure, but the fit is great and the block almost all wind noise.

'03 K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 8:20 am
Addict

I know some guys that have gotten a set of Radio Shack headphones and just ripped the speakers of them for helmet use. They seem very pleased with the results.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 9:42 am
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

If you have in-helmet speakers they will by necessity be very flat and thus have very little bass. And as wind noise builds up, you lose sound to the point that if you raise volume too much the treble is not comfortable and sound is crap.

However, I have them in my helmet from my Baehr intercom system and use them in conjunction with regular noise blocking earplugs - the little foam things. The outcome is very good - the earplugs block out the windnoise (but let in the music) and at the same time reduce the impact of trebble working almost like bass. Is it hi-fi? No, of course not. But it is very acceptable and a true hi-fi sound would be a waste of money as you will always have ambient noise on a bike at speed.

I also own a set of custom made earphones as have been mentioned above - they are great, but I have quit using them on the bike since the results of the above system work almost as well for me, and it's less hassle with the earplugs and in-helmet speakers.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 3:47 pm
Would rather be riding

Illegal in CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
If you really want to do it right then get a set of custom molded in-ear speakers.
In CA at least these aren't legal, since 2004. Stupid law IMHO, and I still ride with headphones sometimes, but I just bought an Autocom system and I'm hoping that it'll be good enough coupled with a quiet helmet and earplugs.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 4:41 pm
Veteran

ER6i's for about $72 on the net. work great.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 5:34 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
In CA at least these aren't legal, since 2004. Stupid law IMHO, and I still ride with headphones sometimes, but I just bought an Autocom system and I'm hoping that it'll be good enough coupled with a quiet helmet and earplugs.
Not legal to have both ears with headphones, but perfectly legal to have one in one ear and a foam plug in the other. Ya lose the stereo effect for music, but the two-way radio, GPS, and radar detector are fine.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 6:27 pm
Addict

I just got fed up trying to wear ear buds under my BMW helmet and dismantled the helmet lining parts for ideas. Surprise surprise the cheek pad sections seem to be ready molded for a pair of small speakers - they even included a couple of cuts in the fabric held together with Velcro. This also explains why I got more wind noise ear side of the helmet - less foam.

I dismantled the earphones from a Sony Walkman headset (32 ohm so OK for MP3/FM/Satnav) and put those in wired to an inline jack just under the chin foam. Walkman headsets are fairly sensitive and efficient for their size.

You'll never get fantastic hi-fi bass due to lack of air space and wind noise will ruin sound anyway. If you want to save a few bucks and your helmet molding has cavity space around the ears this is fairly easy to try.

I see there are new helmet brands out now offering Bluetooth integrated headsets.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2008, 8:25 pm
Would rather be riding

Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I see there are new helmet brands out now offering Bluetooth integrated headsets.
I've got a bluetooth helmet, the Dianese AirStream. It works pretty well for day trips.

I'm switching to an Autocom system. I want more control over the volume than I get with the bluetooth helmet, I want stereo for music (no one yet makes a stereo bluetooth helmet), and I don't want to worry about the helmet batteries going dead on a long ride. This has happened to me twice already, once when I forgot to plug it in after the previous ride, and once when I was just on the bike for 8 hours straight.

Someone needs to make a stereo bluetooth helmet with a decent amplifier (make it LOUD) that can be optionally recharged/powered from the bike. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Until then I'll live with a wire.

I'll still have bluetooth in the mix though. I got the bluetooth dongle for the Autocom, and so the GPS and cell phone will still connect to the autocom via bluetooth! Fewer wires and adapters that way. I can leave the cell charging in the trunk and use the GPS to make/take calls. I'll wire a lead for the ipod from the trunk to the autocom and another for power and use a RF remote on the dash to control it. So one wire to the helmet and I get GPS, phone, bike-to-bike/bike-to-car radio, and stereo music. I might do a radar detector too. (I'm a gadget freak.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode