Bicyclists on the road - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 1:03 am Thread Starter
Noob

Bicyclists on the road

Does anyone else share this frustration - I ride a lot in the canyons near Park City, Utah. It is common to see dozens of bicyclists on the road. Many times these roads have either very small shoulders or no shoulders at all. Often I see these riders riding side by side, not single file. When you issue a polite, "I am coming up behind you" toot on your horn, they often spread out and sometimes I get the middle finger salute. If I encounter these riders on a blind corner, there isn't enough room to for riders side by side, a motorcycle and an SUV pulling an ATV trailer. Are there any laws against this? Shouldn't we all be peeved about this? What can we do?

I am all for giving single file riders all the room they need. But when a car swerves across the center line to avoid these side by side riders, it ain't pleasant.

Has anyone else encountered this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 1:40 am
Veteran

trick cyclists

Hot issue this side of the puddle. They ignore traffic lights and recently killed one old ped. Aggressive bastards ,must be from all that peddling causing crutch irritation.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 4:48 am
Addict

Yesterday, I was walking on one of our narrow UK 6ft sidewalks and there were 3 cyclists side by side coming towards me doing about 15 mph.

I kept my line and they scattered to single file swearing as they passed.

I was in Spain last year around April time when they get a lot of 'professional' cyclists from Europe. But on narrow mountain roads they like riding 2 wide, sometimes in convoys of 20-30 bikes. Motorists take risks and try to pull past blind. When there is an accident, the cyclists are still sucked in.

They seem to think blocking the road and riding slower than motorists keeps them safe. Any cyclists out there? I'd like to know if that's their mind set.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 7:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973k3
Does anyone else share this frustration - I ride a lot in the canyons near Park City, Utah. It is common to see dozens of bicyclists on the road. Many times these roads have either very small shoulders or no shoulders at all. Often I see these riders riding side by side, not single file. When you issue a polite, "I am coming up behind you" toot on your horn, they often spread out and sometimes I get the middle finger salute. If I encounter these riders on a blind corner, there isn't enough room to for riders side by side, a motorcycle and an SUV pulling an ATV trailer. Are there any laws against this? Shouldn't we all be peeved about this? What can we do?

I am all for giving single file riders all the room they need. But when a car swerves across the center line to avoid these side by side riders, it ain't pleasant.

Has anyone else encountered this?
Having ridden bicycles for many years I also have noticed this . It seems to me to be a generational problem, i.e. us from the "old school" seem to have a better understanding of the rules of the road than some of the younger riders . When I speak to younger riders about this I get one of those blank stares so often associated with ignorance. It feels like banging you head against a wall , but on group rides I still try to teach that we all have to share the road or suffer the consequences .
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 10:02 pm
Addict

Bikers!

I for one hate them. Do they have to purchase a license to ride on the road? .......NO! Do they pay any kind of tax to ride on the road like we do?.....NO! Does every local township law kiss their supposed well-fit ass?.....YES! Do they spoil a great clean run up NC highway 181 on a God blessed beautiful Sunday morning?.....YES! So to me they have no rights to be on our bought and payed for road.
On Planet Cobbler they are forbidden to ride on the roads of tax paying motorcyclists. On Planet Cobbler, we group them with the non-American tax paying, non-American military fighting, keep all your money in your own little billygoat commune, seperatist Amish. If you want to use the road that we pay for, then we make the rules. We should make them buy a license for their little bikies and take that money and make them pave a three foot bike lane so they can enjoy their suffering called bicycling. They will also have to partake in this stupid ritual from Monday to Thursday ONLY, during rush hour of course in order to thin out the heard, so as not to interfere with motorcyclists. If they put one wheel over into our lane, we will then be allowed to slightly nudge them to the nearest Oak tree that one of their kind will probably be hugging. Can I get an AMEN Brothers?
Did I mention I don't like Amish?

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 11:35 pm

most bicycle riders have a car and/or a motor bike. Sure they pay taxes for gas, motorized vehicles, roads, etc. Some of them even went to the Army...
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 12:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler
I for one hate them. Do they have to purchase a license to ride on the road? .......NO! Do they pay any kind of tax to ride on the road like we do?.....NO! Does every local township law kiss their supposed well-fit ass?.....YES! Do they spoil a great clean run up NC highway 181 on a God blessed beautiful Sunday morning?.....YES! So to me they have no rights to be on our bought and payed for road.
On Planet Cobbler they are forbidden to ride on the roads of tax paying motorcyclists. On Planet Cobbler, we group them with the non-American tax paying, non-American military fighting, keep all your money in your own little billygoat commune, seperatist Amish. If you want to use the road that we pay for, then we make the rules. We should make them buy a license for their little bikies and take that money and make them pave a three foot bike lane so they can enjoy their suffering called bicycling. They will also have to partake in this stupid ritual from Monday to Thursday ONLY, during rush hour of course in order to thin out the heard, so as not to interfere with motorcyclists. If they put one wheel over into our lane, we will then be allowed to slightly nudge them to the nearest Oak tree that one of their kind will probably be hugging. Can I get an AMEN Brothers?
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Larger groups are much worse

Quote:
When we get space flight, I won't be heading to Planet Cobbler. Still, I understand the frustration. As noted earlier in this thread, few bicyclists are exclusively bicycle riders, and I'm confident that almost all of them pay as much in road-related taxes as anyone else. Of course, that's the point, isn't it? At best, these cyclists ought to conform their behavior to rules of the road that motorized vehicles more or less have to follow by default. I've noticed, in particular, that the larger the group, the more obnoxious/inconsiderate the riders become.

Many NC backroads around the Jordan Lake area are overloaded on pretty weekends with large groups of cyclists. These groups very often occupy a full lane and then some, and string out for hundreds of feet, making them almost impossible to pass safely.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 2:17 pm

Quote:
Nice, very nice... A real positive contribution to this forum.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 7:42 pm

Planet Cobbler! LOL...LOL *gasp for air* Hahahahaha! Getta grip Rat Fink.

I am not a cyclist but do ride a mountain bike with proper street tires on the road to keep my matabolism up and blood pressure down. (6'@235#, 110/70, resting rate 65bpm at age 61).

On the street here in the Seal Beach/Huntington Beach area cyclists never ride two abreast but on the flood control levee/bicycle trails all bets are off. Folks will ride 4 abreast and dare me to expect any quarter as I ride into them. Where do I go...the dirt shoulder...NEVER! Getting out of the seat, I stand up on the pedals pumping for all my fat fanny is worth giving out a Rebel yell! What do they say or react? In horror, "jeeze mister!" Young asshats are on cell phones or listening to iPods and are not even present. Self-centered assclowns is what the pleasure cyclists are. Real roadies or true off road cyclists are a class act.

I'm outta this thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode