Numb right hand - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 11:09 am Thread Starter
Noob

Numb right hand

Good morning all, the question is "does anyone have this problem?" My right hand goes numb pretty often, never the left, maybe due to vibration in grip and tighter grip on right side than left. It would seem that risers wouldn't fix because it's not pressure on my wrists, just the numbness. One other query looking to get a seat cover, the poor man's seat replacement, beaded, lambswool or gel? Discuss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 11:49 am

Look into CTS. I am post surgery both wrists and have had no real improvement. Waiting too long to address this issue because of ignorance can lead to permanent nerve damage..
You have neen warned.. http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...aq=3&oq=carpal

I guess it depends on how thick it is but I have read that gel will work its way into the butt-crack. I have used wool in the past and over at avrider.com Alaska wool is the recommended thing...http://www.alaskaleather.com/index.html
I have not bought from these folks yet so can not comment on their service.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Enthusiast

The difference in your right wrist to left is probably because of the different angle your wrist is at due to twisting of the throttle. Bar risers do actually help the problem because of the reduction in weight on your wrists. You can also make a conscious effort to adjust your grip on the throttle forward so that when you twist back the the wrist is not bent backwards as much. That's a trick I used to use on my sport bikes and it helped me out. Of course, the cruise control does wonders for helping also if your bike has that.

'03 K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 12:15 pm
Veteran

+1 on the Alaska Leather butt pad!!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 2:52 pm
Addict

I have the same problem. I get the most numbing vibrations in the Twisty's, when the RPM is in the 7000-9000 range for a long time.
In 2003 with my first K1200RS I had my wrists injected with Cotizone at age 57. The problem was eliminated. It was great!!!

Over the years the numbing has returned but not to the extend it once was.
The style of Glove changes the effect and severity, I have many gloves styles.
I also wrap the grips with racket-ball padded tape.

(some BMW models have different grips) On my 2004 K1200RS the grips are hard on the 2002 the had thick ribs.

Good luck.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2008, 9:25 pm
Addict

Uncomfortably Numb

This is not a recommendation, but a suggestion based on personal experience. Okay, where the bars clamp the the forks, there's a small screw in the front, you can't see it when sitting on the bike. This screw indexes each bar so, #1 they are in the same location, #2 it keeps the bars from rotating if, for some strange reason, the "pinch" bolts were to loosen, and #3 so BMW does not get sued in case the pinch bolts do come loose. It's a lawyer thing like everything in America is, but that's another story.
After removing these locating screws, I slightly loosened the "pinch" bolt, sat on the bike, and rotated each bar to where it suited my hands. I then tightened the "pinch" bolts to the proper torque spec and saved the locating pins for another time. I have ridden hard for several thousand miles with no problem, and not highway riding, but balls to the walls. Look at the crotch-rockets, they have this same adjustment.
Is there a danger if the "pinch" bolts come loose?....yes. Will the "pinch bolts come loose?....maybe, but not probable if the proper torque is applied and maintained. Will Obama win the Presidency, doubtful. I'm not saying to do this, but I have had no problems. It's a big trust game and I trust my mechanical skills and the bikes engineering. The numbness for me has diminished so I'm happy.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2008, 11:36 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler
This is not a recommendation, but a suggestion based on personal experience. Okay, where the bars clamp the the forks, there's a small screw in the front, you can't see it when sitting on the bike. This screw indexes each bar so, #1 they are in the same location, #2 it keeps the bars from rotating if, for some strange reason, the "pinch" bolts were to loosen, and #3 so BMW does not get sued in case the pinch bolts do come loose. It's a lawyer thing like everything in America is, but that's another story.
After removing these locating screws, I slightly loosened the "pinch" bolt, sat on the bike, and rotated each bar to where it suited my hands. I then tightened the "pinch" bolts to the proper torque spec and saved the locating pins for another time. I have ridden hard for several thousand miles with no problem, and not highway riding, but balls to the walls. Look at the crotch-rockets, they have this same adjustment.
Is there a danger if the "pinch" bolts come loose?....yes. Will the "pinch bolts come loose?....maybe, but not probable if the proper torque is applied and maintained. Will Obama win the Presidency, doubtful. I'm not saying to do this, but I have had no problems. It's a big trust game and I trust my mechanical skills and the bikes engineering. The numbness for me has diminished so I'm happy.

I have considered do exactly this same thing. Do you have any photos? Just curious as to how it looks.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2008, 2:48 am

You might try a throttle rocker, cramp buster or other device. I use one on my '04 and find that I don't grip the throttle as tight. I like the cramp buster, it can be rotated around and adjusted as ou ride.

"We deal in lead, friend"
----------------------------
'04 K12RS (capri blue)
'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'00 HD Road King
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2008, 8:06 am Thread Starter
Noob

I am going to get the RCU risers, they say that no adjustments are needed to the cables and they are priced good at $105. Hopefully I will have wonderful things to say in the near future about the risers. I've been reminding myself to not put pressure on my wrists and arch my back, so my parents will be proud, "sit up straight young man" going through my head regularly. Thank you all for you recommendations.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2008, 8:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinfiss
I am going to get the RCU risers, they say that no adjustments are needed to the cables and they are priced good at $105. Hopefully I will have wonderful things to say in the near future about the risers. I've been reminding myself to not put pressure on my wrists and arch my back, so my parents will be proud, "sit up straight young man" going through my head regularly. Thank you all for you recommendations.

I just did the RCU risers on my '04 GT. I like it but the difference was not huge. I'll keep them on as it allows me to sit slightly (ever so slightly) straighter but I was hoping for more of a difference. No issues with cables.

As for numbness, for me it's the left hand and I'm using ideas from others on this board that seem to help like using legs more, letting the grips float in the hands and not always squeezing hard. The GT is somewhat new for me and I love it but I'm thining of picking up an LT also for the longer rides with the wife on the back. I used to have an LT and did not experience this problem and I'm not giving up the GT. But then again, I got my first speeding ticket in 8 years last Memorial weekend. Good thing I was already slowing down when the CHP came over the hill in my direction with the radar going.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode