Can I run two sets of PIAA type lamps? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 9:50 am Thread Starter

Question Can I run two sets of PIAA type lamps?

Found set of nice PIAA style lights at Wally World for $23.00. They are twins for the $300.00 PIAA lights and very bright. They are plastic housing with a metalic base and are black. Size is same as PIAA.

I would like to supplement my Tenzo lights and run these $23.00 lights in parallel with the Tenzos. All I need to do is place them between the Tenzos and tap into the harness.

Question is how is this going to affect the battery and can the relay handle the additional current load on the battery side contacts.

Does anyone know approx what the wattage would be for 4 PIAA style driving lights?

For the price I am impressed. I can see no point in spending over ten times as much for a brand name...

For all your information the Brand name of these inexpensive lights is Rally Manufacturing No3062 Lazer White H.I.D. style driving lights....they are for cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:13 am
No bogey's twist wrist

Smile piaa style lights

would need to know the bulb sizes in them to figure the needed current, as in the wattage of the light bulbs themsleves. They will be adequate, you give up a better reflector and lens and usually an aluminum housing to go with the cheaper versions. Some have a tendancy to overheat when sitting still with no airflow and melt and deform the reflector or housing and lens or all three so be mindfull of that. Especially in the summer. And only use same size/wattage bulbs as they are designed for nothing more than that. Chances are your relay is big enough and the wiring too but need more info. Thats why I went with the Catz aluminum housings, glass lens and decent reflector, takes standard gm low beam style bulbs.

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Piaa Style Lamp Wattage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeven
would need to know the bulb sizes in them to figure the needed current, as in the wattage of the light bulbs themsleves. They will be adequate, you give up a better reflector and lens and usually an aluminum housing to go with the cheaper versions. Some have a tendancy to overheat when sitting still with no airflow and melt and deform the reflector or housing and lens or all three so be mindfull of that. Especially in the summer. And only use same size/wattage bulbs as they are designed for nothing more than that. Chances are your relay is big enough and the wiring too but need more info. Thats why I went with the Catz aluminum housings, glass lens and decent reflector, takes standard gm low beam style bulbs.
They look to be the 55 watt bulbs that are in the Tenzo...and by the way the reflector is a very heavy (heat distributing) glass with the bulb and ceramic base molded right into the reflector. The contact pins come out of that assembly and are inserted into another ceramic block with the 14 to 16 gauge wires riveted inside. There is another metal ring holding the glass reflector in the plastic. The lens is a very thick clear plastic....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 12:49 pm
Addict

rough guide is 10 amps for 2 55 watt bulbs and can be powered by 14 gauge wire. if you are running 4 55 watt bulbs you should have 12 gauge wire at least up to the relays and 14 gauge to each light. the relay should be 20 amp rated minimum. and I would fuse the wire from the battery for 10 amp for 14 gauge wire and 20 amp for 12 gauge wire.

bert brumfield
kernersville, NC
1998 K1200RS [TAXI],
2007 K1200 R-SPORT
207 k1200GT
MSF RIDER-COACH
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2009, 10:50 pm
Rookie

2 set fog lights

Gidday,

Just installed 2 sets 55 watt fog lights. separate relay on each set.

One high beam and the 2nd low beam.

Very good spotting those kangaroos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	l1.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	629.1 KB
ID:	11213   Click image for larger version

Name:	l2.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	683.0 KB
ID:	11214   Click image for larger version

Name:	l3.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	664.6 KB
ID:	11215  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2009, 5:42 pm

NastyK1200, I like your set-up, may do the same. Thanks.

Ray
04 GT
BBG1500
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2010, 7:54 am
Rookie

No worries mate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode