some minor issues taken care of - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2008, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

some minor issues taken care of

Just a brief report on some minor issues that I took care of this past weekend. I've had my 2003 RS now for about 2 1/2 years and have been putting off replacing the QDs. Replaced the QD's with a kit from Beemer Boneyard. Piece of cake and piece of mind. I also replaced plugs (Autolite) and added some fuel injector cleaner due to some roughness in the 3-4k range. Bike is now running great. This was my first time with the skins off. I'm sorry I waited so long (27K) to replace the QD's. Last year I installed Ohlins. What should I be lookng at next? This bike just keeps getting better. Thanks for all the help from this board.

Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2008, 7:53 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJBushman
Just a brief report on some minor issues that I took care of this past weekend. I've had my 2003 RS now for about 2 1/2 years and have been putting off replacing the QDs. Replaced the QD's with a kit from Beemer Boneyard. Piece of cake and piece of mind. I also replaced plugs (Autolite) and added some fuel injector cleaner due to some roughness in the 3-4k range. Bike is now running great. This was my first time with the skins off. I'm sorry I waited so long (27K) to replace the QD's. Last year I installed Ohlins. What should I be lookng at next? This bike just keeps getting better. Thanks for all the help from this board.

Unless a shop did your fuel and air you should have done that while you had it torn apart.....the other thing i have heard is to change your oil after running injector cleaner...also a good time to run any harnesses that you may want to use in the future for aux lights etc.....just a good gen check of vacuum hoses elec connectors....and blow out any sand and stones that collect around your intake and throttle body
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2008, 8:05 pm
Veteran

Should have done the air and fuel filters when you were in there. In fact, I would go back in and do them.
It sure wouldn't hurt to check the valve clearances too.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2008, 9:09 am

[QUOTE=GJBushman]Just a brief report on some minor issues that I took care of this past weekend. I've had my 2003 RS now for about 2 1/2 years and have been putting off replacing the QDs. Replaced the QD's with a kit from Beemer Boneyard. Piece of cake and piece of mind. I also replaced plugs (Autolite) and added some fuel injector cleaner due to some roughness in the 3-4k range. Bike is now running great. This was my first time with the skins off. I'm sorry I waited so long (27K) to replace the QD's. Last year I installed Ohlins. What should I be lookng at next? This bike just keeps getting better. Thanks for all the help from this board.[/QUOTE

Yeah...but you had to take your 'skins' off to install the ohlins right?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2008, 8:32 am
Addict

true dat

definitely replace air and fuel filter. fuel filter is a bit tedious, but my performance and mileage increased with replacement. i dont replace okeker clamps on fuel filter, rather just slip on and off. have done replacement twice, it works fine. same with 2 vent tubes. lose those odekers, vent is under no pressure. also, when finished, pour some gas into filler neck hole and make sure gas goes to ground, telling u the vent tubes arent switched. good luck.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2008, 9:18 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbeemer
definitely replace air and fuel filter. fuel filter is a bit tedious, but my performance and mileage increased with replacement. i dont replace okeker clamps on fuel filter, rather just slip on and off. have done replacement twice, it works fine. same with 2 vent tubes. lose those odekers, vent is under no pressure. also, when finished, pour some gas into filler neck hole and make sure gas goes to ground, telling u the vent tubes arent switched. good luck.
Bill
The next time you replace the fuel filter, replace the filter clamps with those from a '85 K100. The clamp is a screw type and has the same pump system as our newer K-bikes. I have had them on for 3 yrs. and no problems.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2008, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

ohlins install

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHausLittleFalsy
Yeah...but you had to take your 'skins' off to install the ohlins right?

No, I had a shop do the Ohlins install. I really didn't have the time last year so I paid someone to do it.

Jamie
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2008, 8:41 pm Thread Starter

fuel and air filters

Yes, should have done the fuel and air filters. I will go back and do those in the next month or so. Thanks for the input.

Jamie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode