k1200RS not starting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2008, 5:55 pm Thread Starter

k1200RS not starting

Hi, this is my first post here so be gentle with me!

I'd like to ask for some guidance in tracking a fault on a 98 K1200RS. The bike is run occasionally but has a fully charged battery, and had no known faults. It was removed from is garage by being ridden, then parked, 10 yards max. Two hours later the bike wouldn't start as easily - it took four runs on the button before it caught. It ran for a few seconds then stopped.

The noticeable problem was the fuel pump didn't run when the kill switch was turned on. However there was an erratic ticking sound from the lower part of the tank. I got the side panels off and traced the noise to the throttle actuator. I removed it and cleaned up the contacts. I tested it back in the loom and the plunger moved freely outwards but not back. But no clacking either.

E-bay provided a new part with matching numbers but that hasn't changed the fault - still no go.

The electrical noise stops only when the kill switch is turned off. I don't have a diagram so I am basing my diagnosis on the stuff I learnt on my K100RS 16v.

The actuator appears to be a stepper motor that is trying to home itself. Since it doesn't stop I suspect its home signal is not seen by the ECU. I feel this is a connector resistance problem (common on my older bikes).

Is there anyone who has seen a similar problem who could guide me into the right area of the ECU connector or loom? Or perhaps suggest an alternative solution. I am not sure of the part the fuel pump or relay could play in this either.

Regards
Davidp
Bristol, UK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode