Hesitation Off Idle - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2008, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Hesitation Off Idle

Hello All,

I haven't dug into it yet, but I have just started experiencing a hesitation off idle syndrome with my 03' K1200GT. In the past, the bike ran perfectly no matter if it were just started (cold) or if it were ran all day (normal operating temperature). Recently, it has a noteworthy hesitation just off until it reaches normal operating temperature. Has anybody else experienced this? I am wondering if this is a warm weather phenomena, or if something has gone wrong.

THANKS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2008, 10:23 pm
Veteran

Doesn't sound right to me. My '04KRS runs perfectly. hot weather or cold and it was 103+
today and the bike never skipped a beat!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2008, 6:22 am
Addict

fuel filter

when's the last time u replaced the fuel filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2008, 11:45 am

DJ-

Have you had your chip upgraded? The 03-04's have a bad chip on cold starting just as you described. I had to get mine changed. BMW will replace it on them, but you have to bitch to get it done, because it is expensive.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2008, 12:17 pm
Addict

All the comments from others about firmware may be relevant, but you said the problem had just started? Firmware in chip probs tend to be consistent most of the time for same weather temperature etc.

First try disconnecting the battery at the ground post and leave the bike 1/2 hour or so to wipe the ECU learned memory map. Reconnect the battery, turn ignition on, roll throttle back and forth 3 times, say the magic words and start the bike.

For the 1st 2 or 3 minutes after starting the O2 sensor is disabled and the bike should be running on a preset rich mix map, then the O2 sensor cuts in. If the hesitation is in under 3 minutes after starting I'd guess the ECU reset might put it back to default. If you are getting the problem at say 3 to 7 minutes after startup I'd suspect the O2 sensor.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2008, 12:23 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight!

To answer some of the questions... no, the ECU was never serviced (I was worried about that myself).

The bike always ran perfectly up to a week or so ago. Even as it stands, it will idle rock solid and drive normal outside for hesitation just as you leave idle. Example: bike is in neutral at a solid 1000 rpm idle and as you open the throttle it will stumble and drop down to approx. 800rpm before taking off and then jumping up to 1300 or so. It seems as if it starves for fuel at that particular moment.

I haven't replaced the fuel filter (I will this weekend) but the fact that this goes away after it warms up made me not suspect it. However, I think I will do the air cleaner, fuel filter and general lookover this weekend. I think I will drain the fuel tank as well (just in case there is moisture in the fuel).

Thanks for the ECU re-set suggestion. I will try that too. I am going to my local BMW dealer for parts this weekend and mention it to the service manager. He is pretty cool about gining some self help tips before brining in the machine.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2008, 10:04 am

Draining the fuel is a good idea...you may have got some 87 octane at the 93 octane pump...it's happened to me before. I would drain the tank by riding it until almost on empty. Also...letting your bike warm up a bit before goosing the throttle is not an unusual thing to do. My bike needs a bit of warm up and I live in southern california. Also....temp, humidity, and elevation can have an effect on engine performance until the bike's fuel injection process can adapt to it all. Does this make any sense? Changing the fuel filter will definately help it get more fuel.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2008, 10:16 am Thread Starter

Makes alot of sense (the reason why I was asking from the vast experience from this site). I am relatively new to the BMW bike scene. I bought the bike late last fall with only 2k orig, miles and couldn't help but ride it as often as I could through the winter (gotta love those heated options). I was amazed on how nicely the fuel injection worked! Just a touch of the button and the thing was running with perfectly metered fuel with no choke to fuss with. As soon as we got our first hot and humid heat wave of the year is when things seemed to change. I didn't know if it was purely coincidental, or if the bike behaves this way in the warm weather (hence the reason for this post). Today is perfect out and I am anxious to see how it runs. The bike is coming up on 6k miles and should have a check up anyway so I can add the problem to the service list if I can't find it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2008, 3:03 pm
Addict

Hesitate

Hey Nooby,
Have you ever ran fuel injector through it? I experienced your present problem with my 2000KLT years back and injector cleaner cleared it up in less that a tank. I have used it religiously in that bike and in my now 2002KRS. I use Lucas now but when I first tried it in the KLT it was the cheap NAPA brand. Don't be scared, it won't hurt a thing. I'd start there since it's simple enough and inexpensive. Give it a try.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2008, 5:35 pm
Looking for better limits...

Sounds like the ECU issue we've had. But, it's odd that it starts showing up now, as Vox mentioned. Usually, bad mapping is bad mapping from day one.

The other thing, the TPS reset, requries that you turn off the ignition after rolling the throttle three times (and mumbling voodoo words). At least, that's the way I learned it...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode