Boy, what a Day to Forget - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2008, 6:57 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Boy, what a Day to Forget

finally have time to take the K1200GT in for the 24K Service (25,132)I drop it off the night before and am waiting for the call to come and pick it up.
Well, I have not gotten that call yet, however I did get 2 others:

First, the initial inspection revealed that the rear main is leaking and must be replaced along with the Clutch. $$$$$$$$

2 hours later:::::

Second, The rear wheel has to much play, final drive is going out, must be replaced.$$$$$$$$$

I am not feeling very happy with my bike right now. The bike I traded in had 40K on it and had only $1200 in service bills.

I asked the dealer if any of this was a recall of sorts. The answer. No!!!

The bike will be in the shop for about 5 days.

This seems like a lot to break at 25K, any words of wisdom out there, now would be a good time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2008, 7:14 pm

OUCH!! That is going to be EXPENSIVE!!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2008, 7:36 pm
Veteran

The seal on my 04 KRs leaked at about 12K miles. It was under warranty. The sad thing is there are so many leaking seals like this on the RS and GT classic models that it should have been a recall. It's like, is this the best BMW could do?

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2008, 9:26 am

The leaks are common. I actually had a head gasket leak, a tranny output leak, a front engine seal leak, a cracked intake manifold...all replaced under warranty. I think I also got new fuel lines and an oil breather line just for good measure. From what I understand..final drive failures are very uncommon. What can I say...I was surprised and disappointed at all the leaks..for a $20K fine german scooter. I was impressed with the way BMW handled the warranty work especially Ventura County BMW...great service dept.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2008, 10:24 am

I feel for you brother! I was in the same boat a few months back. Brought my 99' K12RS (24k miles) in due to what I thought was a minor oil leak. Oh no! Not the case...It was the front seal, and the rear seal. I was ticked. While they were in there I had them check on the clutch just in case I was in need of a new one. Thankfully I wasn't but when all was said and done the bill was a couple grand. I think its pathetic that BMW hasn't stepped up to address the issue with these bikes and their seals. I was told by the mechanics at the BMW dealership that "this is common" and "its expected." Well thats BS! So the other day (only 400 miles later) I pull of the bellypan to do a quick oil/filter change and I find that the front seal is leaking again. I was upset to say the least. Of course it was under warranty so they did it again but I was quite upset to say the least. Leaks at 24k on a BMW motorcycle should not be happening!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2008, 10:50 am Thread Starter
Rookie

This raises the question

What can be the cause of the finale drive failure. The bike is in for service at the same dealer since day 1. All services, inspection performed there.
I think I will be spending some time and doing my maint from now on,
this leads me to the question:
would I have known to look for these things, especially the final drive??
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2008, 7:07 pm
Addict

my 2 cents

here's what happened to me. at 20k miles, my '04kgt started seeping oil. diagnosis? seals. new clutch et al. all under warranty. next....35k miles. front cases seeping oil, front seals, fixed under warranty. both events fixed gladly by bmw daytona beach. which is fine, but doesnt make it acceptable. japanese bikes dont lose seals. period. bmw will blow themselves out of the american market if they arent careful. after 36k miles, i paid $1300 for a 7 yr extended. no way i'd own one of these babies without protection. all that being said, i LOVE riding my k!!!!!!!!!!! all that trouble just makes me want to keep the bike until the 7yrs warranty is up.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2008, 7:25 pm
Addict

Kinda blows the whole myth of German engineering. They must have let the bean counters run the division long ago.

You know, for $20 more in gaskets they'd make their $20,000 motorcycles, in production for 20 years; 20 times more desirable. Gets you thinkin'.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2008, 5:24 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Anybody have any experience with Contacting BMW NA for help with any of these issues, is it worth the time?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 9:13 pm

BMW NA & Seals

At about 11K miles on my '03GT, the final drive was seeping oil and the pivot bearings were "notchy" (my dealer's words). I was told that niether was covered by warranty because (1) the seepage was "probably" due to some grit getting in the final drive because I "rode in the rain too frequently" (dealer's words again), and (2) bearings are normal wear and tear items. Estimated repair cost - about $1300.

I contacted BMWNA and said that this was ridiculous - if there was contamination in the final drive, it was due to some other defect in material or workmanship (I don't ride in the rain that much!) and (2) I couldn't imagine bearing being normal wear and tear at 11K miles - if so, why are they not a maintenance item in the scheduled service???

After 3 phone calls escalating things up the ladder, BMW finally picked up the tab.

Some great custoner service for an $18K bike, huh? My next bike could very well be japanese.

BTW - the final drive is leaking again - at 22K miles! At least least the engine didn't blow (like it did on my '98 K1200RS at $10K miles).

Mark

'03 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue)
'00 BMW R1100SA (Mandarin/Silver)
'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'74 R90S (Daytona Orange)
'06 Ducati Paul Smart Replica (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode