1998-2001 -- RS or GT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 1:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

1998-2001 -- RS or GT?

I am getting back into street riding after a long time away. I will be commuting about 40 miles (roundtrip) each day, plus some fun weekend getaways or day trips but no multi-day rides planned. I'm in the Seattle area, so riding in rain, heat, cold, will be my range, probably mostly overcast skies. :-(

I was looking for a 2001-2003 GT, but they are running around 10k. I then thought I could shave a bit off my budget (make the wife happier) and get something comparable. I then starting looking at RS bikes ~1998-1999.

I want some creature comforts and *think* I'll end up someday with a GT, but what are the real differences between an RS and an GT (both used, late nineties to early 2000s)? Are they that different to ride, or are they fairly similar beasts?

Anyone ridden/owned both and have some helpful info? What's the riding posture, wind, handling like between these two models?

-dave

Last edited by davidgl; Jun 22nd, 2008 at 2:20 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 3:14 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgl
I am getting back into street riding after a long time away. I will be commuting about 40 miles (roundtrip) each day, plus some fun weekend getaways or day trips but no multi-day rides planned. I'm in the Seattle area, so riding in rain, heat, cold, will be my range, probably mostly overcast skies. :-(

I was looking for a 2001-2003 GT, but they are running around 10k. I then thought I could shave a bit off my budget (make the wife happier) and get something comparable. I then starting looking at RS bikes ~1998-1999.

I want some creature comforts and *think* I'll end up someday with a GT, but what are the real differences between an RS and an GT (both used, late nineties to early 2000s)? Are they that different to ride, or are they fairly similar beasts?

Anyone ridden/owned both and have some helpful info? What's the riding posture, wind, handling like between these two models?

-dave
GT's were only 2003-2005(left over '04)!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 3:18 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I guess I should make it more clear what I'm asking...

If I save 3-4k and go with a late 90s RS, what are the main things I'd gain/lose compared to a 03 GT? I know there are heated seats, cruise control, etc. but what are the fundamental differences between these two choices?

I have found a '98 RS with 29k, replaced seat, good maint. records, and it's in great shape. I am considering it but value input before I leap! :-)

-dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:10 pm

Quote:
I guess I should make it more clear what I'm asking...

If I save 3-4k and go with a late 90s RS, what are the main things I'd gain/lose compared to a 03 GT? I know there are heated seats, cruise control, etc. but what are the fundamental differences between these two choices?

I have found a '98 RS with 29k, replaced seat, good maint. records, and it's in great shape. I am considering it but value input before I leap! :-)

-dave
The differences you mentioned,plus the larger faring/windscreen are the only differences.
GT is a bit more on the sport-TOURING side whereas the RS is a bit more SPORT-touring.
The differences are relatively small.
Handling/power/brakes essentially all the same.

JR356
RED 98 K12RS-For Sale
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 2:50 pm
Will ride for picts

GT's did come with fixed handlebars, whereas RS's came with adjustable handlebars. The GT position is almost the same as the RS's in their upmost position.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 3:32 pm

I would buy an 04' GT for around $10,000. If it has upgraded suspension....maybe $11,000 tops! It is the best and last year of K1200 production. Don't settle for anything but Orient Blue Metallic. Good luck!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 5:58 pm
Veteran

Quote:

-dave
..Shit man...come out here the the east...max only wanted to give me $3000.00 on a trade for mine...cant imagine that they would double the price to resell ..04GT 60,000 miles....Said the miles were high....
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 7:20 pm

RS or GT

I've ridden and owned both - a '98 K1200RS and an '03 K1200GT.

Handling & performance is identical. Ergos are better on the 'GT but not perfect. The 'RS is less prone to buzzes and rattles, just because it has fewer pieces of plastic. In fact, I think the 'RS is more stable and aerodynamically smoother at speed - the bits added on to the GT actually corrupt airflow and make the bike a little less stable at highway cruising speeds, IMHO.

Both bikes have the usual BMW quirks (character?) and exhibit the legendary BMW (un)reliability. Defintely steer clear of a '98 'RS as many had cooling fan & overheating problems as well as numerous other early production gremlins.

I'd go for a GT first, but an optioned-out late model 'RS (electronic cruise is great!) is certianly a fine bike - for a BMW!

Mark

'03 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue)
'00 BMW R1100SA (Mandarin/Silver)
'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'74 R90S (Daytona Orange)
'06 Ducati Paul Smart Replica (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 8:18 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS
Defintely steer clear of a '98 'RS as many had cooling fan & overheating problems as well as numerous other early production gremlins.

Sorry, but I gotta call bullshit here.

Any '98 that had any of the alleged "early production gremlins" has had them
replaced/repaired under the three year/unlimited mile warranty that the bike
originally came with.

I've ridden my '98 over 91,000 miles and have yet to replace a fan.
I did have the original fork seals go at 32Kmiles, but again. the warranty
took care of that. I had to replace the clutch at 69K miles and that's all
I've HAD to do.

Oh, wait.. The valves first needed adjustment at 84K miles

I replaced the shocks at 30-32K miles with Ohlins also

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a '98 or a '99.

Bsides, they're way better looking than the later RS' and GT's.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 9:57 pm
Addict

Both

We've got both....'99RS and an '04GT.....one has about fifty thousand miles and the GT has 92K.....I say get one of each....gotta love it!

Oh, and to the GT stability thing....Got mine up to 140 and smooth as glass....maybe it's more stable because my massive bulk holds it down, who knows.

Oh, and another thing on the high mileage....all those sales guys have that line memorized....My wife went to trade her f650cs with 6000 miles and the sales guy instantly threw out that line....after he talked during the sale about the legendary reliability and all. Kind of like a Jeckle and Hyde thing.

Ok, I'm done.

Carpe Beemum

1975 R75/6
2004 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode