Question for Atlanta Area GT Owners - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 3:51 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Question for Atlanta Area GT Owners

I'm afraid my 2004 KGT needs an ECU change. My bike seems to be getting progressively worse about stumbling and shutting off at start-up, and just being cold natured. My question to you is.......Which dealer in the metro area has the best service department, BMW of Atlanta or Blue Moon? I'm driving up from Savannah-way and the distance is a moot issue since there is essentially no difference (240 miles). I've even considered BMW Sport Touring in Greenville. I've heard they have a steller service department.

Thanks..........OkeefenokeeJoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 9:57 pm

I have used BMW of Atlanta before and they seem like pretty good guys. I am not from Atlanta but bought my first 2003 GT from them.

Ride Fast But Ride Safe,
J C.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:08 pm

<SHOUT MODE ON> TOURING SPORT of Greenville, SC! <SHOUT MODE OFF>

I have been extremely pleased with Touring Sport. While the Atlanta dealers may be fine, I have no knowledge of them, but Touring Sport is first class. My 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:23 pm

Never had a problem out of Blue Moon. I have also heard good things about BMW of Atlanta too. I have heard complaints about both too, but, they are in the minority.

AFAIK, neither offers a loaner. Since you are from out-of-town, Blue Moon has more to look at with their antique bikes, but the waiting area of BMW of Atlanta is better.

When are you planning on bringing it in? I live about 15 minutes away from Blue Moon and work about 20 minutes away from BMW of Atlanta. I would be more than happy to pick you up at either and do lunch, etc. If it is going to be an all-day affair because of other service we can figure something out. PM me if interested. Always anxious to meet other members and help out when I can.

Randy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 6:41 am
Go Dawgs!

I've only used Blue Moon for service, primarily because they are the closest of the two to Athens. Absolutely no complaints. I find they are very good about using email to set up my schedule. Ditto, regarding the antique bike collection -- very cool stuff to drool over! Also, ditto regarding mostly good comments from other owners regarding service at either shop -- previous owner of my 03 GT bought the bike at Atlanta BMW and had the 3K check performed there just before I bought it. (He was a BMW car dealer employee from Greenville, and said his inside info on both shops said good things about both.)

Best of luck,
-Jeff

-Jeff
2003 K1200GT (Blue...of course!)

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
-- Douglas Adams
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:29 am

I bought my bike from BMW of Atlanta and have taken it there for service many times.

You need to call ahead and tell them what your problem is and see what they say. They don't seem to carry ECUs in stock (I'm having my second one replaced and it took 3 weeks to get the thing) and you will have to either come back for the install or stay overnight (if they can get one in overnighted).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:55 am

A fourth option- Destination BMW in Knoxville. Brand new BMW dealership but they have carried Ducati and Triumph for years. They just did my ECU and did a fantastic job. No hassles about replacement, in and out in one day. Call them, talk to Crow. Highly recommended!

2007 K1200S
2003 K1200RS Zebra (dearly departed)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2005, 9:57 am

Hey Joe...I've used all three, never used Knoxville. Had marginal encounters with Greenville and Bluemoon, none of which were bad enough to stop using them. Bought two bikes from ATL and have now had 4 of my Beemers serviced there...and now use them exclusively. Nuff said!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2005, 1:34 pm

I just spoke to Tom, new service manager at Blue Moon and he ordered me a new ECU. He says it takes about a week to get.
Blue Moon guys have been pretty up front with all the service on my bike
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2005, 6:34 pm

dealt w Blue moon before will never go back BMW Atlanta is my choice, Zack the master technician is awesome straightforward aswell as Bill the Service Manager.... they are great

I do my own stunts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode