Rolling back the odometer - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 9:46 am Thread Starter

Rolling back the odometer

Saw an ad on ebay for a 2004 K1200GT. It claimed that it only had 2400 miles. The guy selling has all the gear and luggage and farkles that you can buy yet he states he has no time to ride and that it is the best bike he's ever owned. Listen up people...I know damn good and well that bike has more than 2400 miles on it.....more like 24K miles! He probably rolled back the odometer to maximize his resale value. I've only been riding, buying, and selling motorcycles honestly for 25 years...so I could be wrong. Another popular trick is to disengage the speedometer which most riders don't need anyway and it halts the odometer from moving forward. They ride it for a few seasons and then hook it back up and sell it claiming super low miles. Folks...the old addage holds true....if it sounds too good to be true...it probably is! So I say to all you liars and cheaters out there in motorcycle land...I hope you get caught...because mileage fraud is a felony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:38 am
Enthusiast

So how do you "know" this bike has more than 2400 miles on it? Do you personally have experience with how much the owner has ridden? Since you're in CA and the bike you refer to is in CO I guess the answer is no. There are quite a few motorcycles that spend more time in a garage than on the road. The guy I work for has 2 motorcycles and probably doesn't put 1000 mile a year on them combined! Unless you know for a fact that this bike is fraudulently listed then don't make accusations that are unfounded.

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:25 pm
Rookie

I just bought my 04K1200GT in May, and it had 2,175 miles on it. The fellow I bought it from included two nice helmets, his/hers matching riding jackets, bmw tank bag, a summer riding jacket, bmw smart charger, two pairs of gloves ... The bike was like brand new. So, these low mileage bikes are out there. I bought it locally, from a family member of a work colleague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:29 pm Thread Starter

That is exactly the accusation that I am going to make.We're all supposed to believe that he went out and bought BMW's most expensive model that year and equipped it and himself for touring and then didnt put but 600 miles per year on it? Give me a break. When you get to this level of riding...you put 2400 miles on it in the first week.

This bike seduces you from the first moment you hop on. I don't believe it and nothing anyone here says will make me. Most of you are in the motorcycle sales business anyways. His ad was laid out like he was a dealer or experienced motorcycle salesman...and you expect me to believe that he does ride the bike more than 600 miles per year? OOOOOOOOOOOOkay.

Last edited by BigHausLittleFalsy; Jul 10th, 2008 at 12:36 pm.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04K12GT
I just bought my 04K1200GT in May, and it had 2,175 miles on it. The fellow I bought it from included two nice helmets, his/hers matching riding jackets, bmw tank bag, a summer riding jacket, bmw smart charger, two pairs of gloves ... The bike was like brand new. So, these low mileage bikes are out there. I bought it locally, from a family member of a work colleague.

That's very nice...however you are making a common fallacy. Unless you bought the bike brand new yourself..You'll NEVER know if the mileage is accurate especially on these bikes where there are no obvious signs of wear(no chain and sprockets)or mileage.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:46 pm
Rookie

guess how much I paid for the bike and all the stuff ... $8,500

Last edited by 04K12GT; Jul 10th, 2008 at 1:00 pm.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:54 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04K12GT

I agree with you completely!!! Low mileage bikes (including "K"-bikes) are out there.

I have a friend who bought a used '04KGT W/1,300mi. on it in July of '06. And I know for a fact that the bike doesn't have 3,500mi. on it today!!

So yes, there are lo-mileage bikes around. Now, my bike('04KRS) was purchased new in July 2005 and has just under 50K on it. How do you turn back the odometer?????????

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 1:18 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHausLittleFalsy
That is exactly the accusation that I am going to make.We're all supposed to believe that he went out and bought BMW's most expensive model that year and equipped it and himself for touring and then didnt put but 600 miles per year on it? Give me a break. When you get to this level of riding...you put 2400 miles on it in the first week.
Actually that happens now and then. I think someone one one of these boards just sold a fully farkelized '07 (?) GT because he decided he wanted a different bike. And I almost bought a helmet from a guy in LA who was selling all his really new gear and bike, I think he had to stop riding for medical reasons or something. I promised my wife a bike when she got her moto license, and we found a nice low milage Honda Hawk. Three years later and she's probably put 600 miles on it, I ride it more than she does now. (But, to be fair, we had a kid 2 years ago so opportunities to ride together evaporated.)

Maybe this guy got a bug up his butt for touring, jumped in with both feet, then life circumstances changed on him or maybe it just turned out that he didn't like touring all that much but procrastinated selling the bike. It's certainly possible.

But, yeah, it never hurts to be a little cautious and evaluate your purchase and the seller.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 1:18 pm

I disagree. Low mileage BMW's aren't that rare. New riders with disposable income can see the BMW bikes as "the best" and will tend to "farkle" it to high heaven during the honeymoon period. When they finally realize that they only like the "idea of being" a rider rather than actually "being" a rider and they get tired of their status symbol taking up space in the garage, it's off to the auction block.

Just my 2c.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
So how do you "know" this bike has more than 2400 miles on it? Do you personally have experience with how much the owner has ridden? Since you're in CA and the bike you refer to is in CO I guess the answer is no. There are quite a few motorcycles that spend more time in a garage than on the road. The guy I work for has 2 motorcycles and probably doesn't put 1000 mile a year on them combined! Unless you know for a fact that this bike is fraudulently listed then don't make accusations that are unfounded.

Basically your argument is there is nothing wrong with the bike.....just the rider.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode