Yet another Fuel Quick Disconnector (QD) Failure - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 11:08 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Yet another Fuel Quick Disconnector (QD) Failure

Yep ... my turn.
Went for a great ride with my brother in law and his son and all went well for 240km (about 150 miles).
On arriving back at his place he noticed leaking fuel from the RHS of my 03 GT.
Not so nice yellow stain from the fuel that others have mentioned as well ... hopefully this can be removed.
After having a cuppa, I thought I'd be able to limp home ... but no deal.
As soon as I turned on the engine, fuel sprayed out a couple of feet from the broken QD.
Major PINA.
But it could have been MUCH worse, given that we'd only just been riding in the countryside quite a distance from help. I'd have been in deep manure if the QD had broken then.
At least my bike is safe in my brother in law's garage until I can arrange to get it fixed.
Given that I'd only just had the 60K service done 10 days prior (at quite some $$$) and this was the first long trip I'd made since, I think my local BMW service manager might be asked why this was missed given the proclivity of the plastic QD's to fail.
Will have to wait and see how it turns out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 1:57 pm
Rookie

I would bet a Dollar to a donut that the break happened while the dealer removed the Tank to get to parts below.
This same thing just happened to me on my 24K service on my 04 KGT You bet your A$$ that the dealer fixed this , even out of warrant.

Good luck, Glad to hear that nothing more serious happened.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 8:38 pm
Looking for better limits...

Has the bike ever been down on it's right side? If not, as the service manager if they consider the QD a wear item. As I don't believe it is, then ask what would cause the failure, and see if he can determine that it was broken while being serviced. Might be easier and cheaper to replace it that way.

There are metal ones, and I really recommend that everyone get at least one set. Not as good, but probably easier to get would be a set of plastic ones from the dealer (probably shorter time frame to get, although Omega online can deliver within a week). I don't know what the BMW part numbers are for the thermoplastic ones. I don't believe BMW has part numbers for the metal ones.

Omega Part Numbers
Plastic:
FT-PLCD170-05 $7.00 5/16" ID Hose Barb; Shutoff In-line
FT-PLCD220-05 $1.50 5/16" ID Hose Barb; Shutoff In-line
The 220-05 is the part that usually breaks.

But, they're cheaper than the chrome-plated brass ones:
FT-LCD170-05 $24.00 5/16" ID Hose barb, In-line Shutoff
FT-LCD220-05-FKM $16.00 5/16" ID Hose barb In-line Shutoff
The FKM designates the "O" ring material (Viton), which is a better material than Buna-N, which is what they normally come with. $1.00 extra.

Probably the best bang for the buck is to get just the FT-LCD220-05-FKM as the replacement. It won't break, and I believe there's only one plastic one that does break. You can supposedly mix the plastic with the chrome plated ones. But, keep in mind that those last couple of statement came to you on the internet...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 9:17 pm
Rookie

I have a question ... I read the recall regarding this QD in the technical section of this site, and understand that the defect covers the K1200GT manufactured through December 2003. Mine was manufactured in April 2004, so do you think it has the plastic parts? If so, any opinions on replacing the supposed good fittings with metal ones?

I am new to the BMW motorcycle community (not new to BMW), and appreciate all the experience being shared through this site.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 9:44 pm
Addict

I have a 2004 K1200RS and had the disconnect upgrade then some time later the disconnect failed. I had to put brass connectors on at the time. Then a year latter got metal Quick-disconnects.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 10:08 pm
Rookie

Wow ... I guess I will order the metal quick-connect and replace the stock part then.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 10:42 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04K12GT
I have a question ... I read the recall regarding this QD in the technical section of this site, and understand that the defect covers the K1200GT manufactured through December 2003. Mine was manufactured in April 2004, so do you think it has the plastic parts? If so, any opinions on replacing the supposed good fittings with metal ones?

I am new to the BMW motorcycle community (not new to BMW), and appreciate all the experience being shared through this site.
I can guarantee you that an '04 had plastic disconnects! And I can tell you that they break!!! And that BMW replaced it under warranty, with another plastic fitting. Thanks a lot!!!

My gas stain was minor(service manager said they would paint the crank cover if I wanted).
And I replaced both the stock fittings with Omega chrome-plated brass within 1 month after having BMW replace the broken QD.

I can give you one piece of advise. If you are going to sit on the fence about doing this swap. At least go to a neighborhood auto store and pick-up a pair of 5/16", 3-barb, brass hose couplings and four screw-type hose clamps. At least you will be prepared.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2008, 11:21 pm
Rookie

No, I won't wait too long. I will order the parts this week, and install them next weekend. Thanks for the advice.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 1:51 pm

metal disconnect from dealer

I was down at the dealer (BMW of Denver) Friday to get some other parts and the parts guy brought out the wrong part which just happened to be new metal disconnects, I was looking for the O rings for the turn signals. Any how, he told me they had just gotten in the metal quick disconnects.

I thought since I already had the tupperware off my K12RS, why not? I bought 2 sets (2 male, 2 female) for $30.00 per set. I figured preventive maintenance item time.

When I went to install them, I discovered my bike did not have quick disconnects at all. Some one (p.o.) had used barb splines to replace them. At that moment my thought was "let well enough alone, it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I already had the QD's so I proceeded. I placed the straight barbs and clamps into a small plastic bag and they reside under the seat, just in case.

Any way, the point of my post is to let those who aren't aware, the dealer does have the metal disconnects at what I felt was a reasonable price. Time will only tell how good they are. I installed them and did a test run, no problems yet.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2008, 2:00 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy1248
Time will only tell how good they are. I installed them and did a test run, no problems yet.
The metal disconnects have been run for years on the LT's with no problems. I did a pre-emptive on my 07 GT just because the quick disconnects have become even cheaper and flimsier on the newer bikes.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode