Ya know what REALLY grinds my gears - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 7:39 am Thread Starter
Noob

Angry Ya know what REALLY grinds my gears

Bought this used GT w/4100mi 2weeks ago.
Knowing that not only age, but miles play important factor in servicing. I ask if the dealer would have time to run the bike threw the service dept, and do a brake & clutch fluid FLUSH .
AT my expense! yes I'm paying. I specifically stated on the brakes do Wheel & Control circuit sides. Just like this Article at IBMW.
The plot thickens I got the tupperware off right now for upgrades (fusebox, gps, xm, QD)
I also put new tires on.
NO one but me has ever broke free the caliper bolts ( I broke the paint marks from the factory) how did they flush wheel side, lets pull rubber caps off the bleed nipples.
Nope never had a wrench on them. same for ABS Pump. .

Looking at my invoice says "customer request brake & clutch fuid change per BMW Specifications I never said per bmw, I stated completed brake & clutch fluid FLUSH.
I should of dialed in when I payed bill and labor was only 1.5 hrs.

Now should I call & bitch, or chalk it up to typical dealer not listening to customer.
Looks like to me, they just changed out fluid in all reservoir's only, OH BTW Clutch grub screw plug has never seen a wrench on it / No paint scratches.
Sorry for the long post. All Opinion's Welcome
Dave

03 K1200GT
06 Buell Ully XB12X
"Never talk to the puppet...always talk to the man pulling the strings."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:27 am

Ya know what REALLY grinds my gears?

When I can't find the droids I'm looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	familyguy_l.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	8402  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:25 pm
Addict

buy the clymer manual

after buying my '04kgt, i too bought in to the "have the bike serviced only at the dealer". several loose and stripped screws later, i realized these were just high school grads making about $10 per/hr. so i bought the clymer manual. and now do all that stuff myself. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:42 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbeemer
i too bought in to the "have the bike serviced only at the dealer".
Oh I'm far from that. I bought this bike from a dealer out of town. I was just doing this for convenience. I haven't work with ABS3 yet,
But heres a photo of a spline lube I did on my RT.

Looks like its time to make a MiniStand Funnel & bend up a box wrench or two.

03 K1200GT
06 Buell Ully XB12X
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:40 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwm650
But here's a photo of a spline lube I did on my RT.

Man, that looks familiar!

Did the same to my R1100RTL. Then I found 3 out of 5 seals were leaking in the tranny and had to pull it apart too. Why BMW didn't use Viton seals for maybe $3 more instead of those cheap rubber seals above a hot catalytic is beyond me. They were cooked!

I know about bent wrenches too. I used a 6 foot snipe to bust some of those damn Super-LockTighted fasteners loose even with heat from a torch.

Funny part was, when I traded it in at the dealer, the guy asked, "Who did the service?"
When I said "Me," he replied "Good!"
When I asked, "Why do you ask?"
He said, "Sometimes dealers like to take shortcuts."

Not so reassuring.

Mack
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 7:15 am

Same here!

I have a 99 K1200RS bought in Feb with 17K miles. My friend bought a 02 K1200RS with 3,400 miles (Yes, 3,400). We took the bikes with a scheduled appointment to a BMW Dealer for servicing. My friend didn't even GET a real service reciept, they gave him a xerox COPY of mine with his name and info on it and the same bill amount! We supposedly had different services performed. After riding back home (It's a 1 1/2 ride each way) I noticed oil under my bike. Looking underneath there was missing belly pan screws and one about reay to fall out. I asked for the fluids to be flushed and NO they didn't do it. Same story different bikes! Make it worse? Sure, my friend called to complain that they put the tupperware back on and then, ooops! forgot to run a wire that's supposed to go under it and was routed outside and pinched. They didn't even have him in the computer!!! Wish I knew who to complain to at BMW for recieving such shitty work! There has to be a decent dealer somewhere within 300 miles of here.
I'm still pissed off!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 4:13 pm

You don't need a flush. Some things are better left alone until needed. Don't fix it if there's nothing wrong with it is a good rule of thumb. I'm at 26K on original brake pads and fluids. It still performs fine. When I hear the brake marker...I'll service the entire system at once.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 7:54 pm

Smile Gt Brakes

I agree, if it isn't broke leave it alone.
Having said that my 03 GT has 94K on her and BMW hasn't serviced her since 24K .
I do the usual ( oil/filter,Air F.,plugs brake pads , tires and more tires)
I haven't even had the valves adjusted since 24K .I believe most of that C___ is overkill.
I just replaced the fuel pump that went out on her.
Thses machines were built to ride so I tend to do the maintenance that is required to keep her operating at a smooth fast pace.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 7:26 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHausLittleFalsy
You don't need a flush. Some things are better left alone until needed. Don't fix it if there's nothing wrong with it is a good rule of thumb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_B57
I agree, if it isn't broke leave it alone.
Having said that my 03 GT has 94K on her and BMW hasn't serviced her since 24K .
I do the usual ( oil/filter,Air F.,plugs brake pads , tires and more tires)
I haven't even had the valves adjusted since 24K .I believe most of that C___ is overkill.
Thanks for your views on this, and I respect your opinion.
I'm not willing to take that gamble, especially when a ABS unit is over 2k for the part.
3-3.5 hrs of my time & 2 cans of fluid is cheap Insurance.
Brake fluid is hygroscopic & only to a certain threshold, not to mention anti corrosive additives that dissipate over time with the thermal cycles of braking use.
I also understand an occasional brake lock upon a gravel road to make unit work is good thing.
All above keeps the Fault codes away.

03 K1200GT
06 Buell Ully XB12X
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 1:42 pm
Will ride for picts

Brake flush is a good thing. I've had mine done per the annual and bi-annual schedules.

Most performance car clubs require an annual flush of brake fluid before they let you on for a track day or driving school. The absorbed water in brake fluid can lead to brake failure when they get hot.

While I haven't checked the bleeders, I do know that the reservoirs come back with new fluid (nice and light colored instead of dark), so I know some fluid has been replaced. Both places I have used have great service reputations (BMW of Denver, and Sierra BMW in Reno). Scott at Sierra BMW in particular is top notch. He's the perfect, detail-oriented kind of guy you want running a service organization.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode