Is it normal that the brake only works with engine on? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:44 pm Thread Starter
Muf
Noob

Is it normal that the brake only works with engine on?

The bike is a 04 GT with integral abs.

Sorry if it is a stupid question, I have the bike shortly and didn't get the manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 2:33 pm
Addict

no problemmo

well, sorta kinda. kgt brakes are servo assisted, and will only work manually without servo assist with the engine off. very clumsy. now u know.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 3:53 pm
Addict

It's pretty much the same with a car (except the parking brake). There'll be some braking effort, but not the same as with the servo running.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 4:29 pm
Veteran

brake

I think that as with a car, if you are pedalling instead of driving, you have to exert 600 psi to match what the power assist would do.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 5:28 pm

I haven't tried it but I'm sure I read on here sometime ago that if you are holding the break while you turn the key on the servo assist doesnt work until the engine is running. I never apply the break until the bike is running anyway so I'm not sure. I do know that my servo assist works while the key is on and the engine is off. Otherwise no power=manual breaky.

"flying through hyper-space ain't like dustin' crops boy"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 6:08 am Thread Starter
Muf
Noob

Cool

Well, I still think the handbrake worked when I bought the bike few weeks ago... Then I let my mechanic check it, change the fluids etc and now it only works with the ignition on.
Kind of scary when I wish to park it on a hill...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 2:05 pm
Will ride for picts

My servos only work if ignition is on. No servos when ignition is off or kill switch is activated.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 4:55 pm

The servos only work with the key on and/or the engine running. If the key is not turned it is manual all the way.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2008, 5:10 am
Addict

Unlike cars, these servos don't have any vacuum reserve. As far as I know they should work when the key is on, provided the battery has enough juice. If the battery is suspect as with their ABS, you can probably expect lots of warning lights.

If the the engine cut and the battery explodes whilst riding then there would by no servo - but that should be a rare event!

Because the hydraulic system is designed to amplify effort at the brake lever, when the servo isn't working the fluid path is less direct and the effort at the levers much greater. Since we usually have stronger feet than hands, I'd have expected the rear brake to hold better with no servo.

It's probably a rare and scary experience to have a servo control fail whilst riding, but I'm sure there would still be some residual braking.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2008, 10:32 pm
MIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
It's probably a rare and scary experience to have a servo control fail whilst riding, but I'm sure there would still be some residual braking.
I few month ago, rear brake light switch stuck in on position. After riding for a bit with the switch stuck and the brake light on -- the computer declared ABS failure and switches off ABS. Then after I switched the bike off and then on again, the computer declared self-test faliure and shutdown servos. No ABS and no servo assist brakes.

I had to ride home for ~10 miles and although it wasn't fun, but it was doable. I had to remember to start braking in adviance and pull the brake lever harder, keep distance and ride slower. I made it home safely.

Fortunatelly the dealer picks up and delivers the bikes where I am, so I didn't have to ride 60 miles with weak brakes and no ABS or try to find a trailer. 51 for the switch and 75 for the labor dollars later it was working fine again

http://www.mileagetracker.org/showBi...eseServices=31

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode