GS Rider new to K1200RS - Help - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 2:27 am Thread Starter

GS Rider new to K1200RS - Help

Hi Everyone. Just bought my first RS, 2003.
Can anyone tell me if the factory seat can be raised in the front? I feel like my crotch is sliding down into the tank all of the time. A little uncomfortable.

Also. The bike has deep oil stains on the valve covers. The silver head plates are stained. Can anyone tell me how to get this off? I tried rubbing compound, degreaser, Plexus, everything.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 7:03 am
Addict

help

cant help u with the stain, but can relate to the sh*t seat. save your time and energy, i spent a full yr trying to make that seat rideable, including repositioning, refoaming, recovering, replacing(sargent). it got so bad i was considering selling my kgt for lack of comfort. i finally forked over $500 to my friends at russell seating in CA. i now can ride 15hrs in the saddle, no discomfort at all in seating. it has become a non-issue. bike is now all smiles. good luck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 7:57 am
Rookie

ditto

A+1 for Bills Comment. I also use a Russell on my 04KGT and have no issues doing 1200 mile days. I did take a trip down to the Keys on my stock seat about a year ago and could not walk after the third day.
If you love the bike, buy the DAy-Long from Russell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:03 am

The seat is junk. I replaced it as fast as I could after getting the same bike. The GT comfort seat is a good option for short trips and city riding. Over the road a daylong or equal is necessary. You can also wire up the GT comfort seat and have heat.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjoelshipp
Hi Everyone. Just bought my first RS, 2003.
Can anyone tell me if the factory seat can be raised in the front? I feel like my crotch is sliding down into the tank all of the time. A little uncomfortable.

Also. The bike has deep oil stains on the valve covers. The silver head plates are stained. Can anyone tell me how to get this off? I tried rubbing compound, degreaser, Plexus, everything.

Thanks
Have you tried the factory seat in the high position? There are two notches in the front of the seat pan to lock into the bike. Lower notch for "high". It's kind of tricky to get. Lay the seat in position on the bike without pushing down. Open the lock for the latch in the back. Keeping the seat in the high position and look under the front of the pan and pull the seat forward so the lower notch engages.
In
the high position the seat seems a little more level.
It's worth a try

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 12:16 pm
Will ride for picts

Seat comfort is a personal issue. Three times I've ridden over 1,000 miles in one day on the stock seat (did it just last weekend, Minden to Denver, about 16 1/2 hours). The stock comfort seat is not a problem for me, but my ass has a bit of extra cushion.

To put the seat in the upper position:

1. Remove the seat,
2. Stand behind the bike, grasp the seat on each side at the pillion position,
3. Place the front of the seat into the guides, and put the rear of the seat on top of the latch,
4. Push down until the latch clicks once but is not fully seated,
5. Lift the front of the seat so it's in the upper position,
6. While holding the front of the seat up, briskly push the seat down and towards the front, while taking care not to push the bike off its side or center stand.
7. The seat should now be secured in the latch, but with the front in the upper position.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 1:09 pm Thread Starter

thanks everyone. I will try the high position
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 3:25 pm
Addict

Stock seat for me sucked.And the high position left me so I couldn't touch the ground with both feet.Had stock seat cut and recovered.A lot better, not great, but doable now.The stains you mentioned are permanent I think. Repaint is only option.I would check to see what caused the stains as the tank connections are prone to leakage. Also some earlier models had issues with fuel pump seal, my 98 did.A cheap sheep skin thrown over the seat will help as will the wooden bead pad.Using a sheep skin in the rain in Wyoming tho is a hazard, as the smell of wet wool seems to bring out some strange cowboys trying to take you to dinner, be warned.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 4:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmm
Stock seat for me sucked.And the high position left me so I couldn't touch the ground with both feet.Had stock seat cut and recovered.A lot better, not great, but doable now.The stains you mentioned are permanent I think. Repaint is only option.I would check to see what caused the stains as the tank connections are prone to leakage. Also some earlier models had issues with fuel pump seal, my 98 did.A cheap sheep skin thrown over the seat will help as will the wooden bead pad.Using a sheep skin in the rain in Wyoming tho is a hazard, as the smell of wet wool seems to bring out some strange cowboys trying to take you to dinner, be warned.

NOW that's funny, I don't care who you are!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode