Any '04 KGT's w/o ECU Problems? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

Any '04 KGT's w/o ECU Problems?

I have an '04 w/ an early build date of 09/2003, that I purchased in April of 2005 (one of the last gray/green leftovers w/ full options, for 0.9% + 5 payments made by BMWFS) With the December ECU replacement cut-off date looming my question is this: Are there any other '04 KGT owners who's bikes don't exhibit obvious cold-start issues w/ the original ECU? I'm wondering how the obvious problem ECUs surface... Is it something that was apparent from the start or did it show up after a certain number of miles, etc? My dealer's service manager says that if it doesn't stumble on cold start-up then my ECU is a good one and won't need replacement, period... Is this true? I'd like to hear how other owners of '04 KGT's decided that their ECU's are 1) BAD or 2) GOOD 2 GO and am wondering what the % of bad ones to good ones really is? Thanks in advance!

Steve J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 4:51 pm

My '04 RS has a build date April '04 and has not exhibited any of the ECU symptoms. I did check with my local dealer to confirm mine was outside the suspected range.

I have 12000+ trouble free miles in temps as low 35 degrees.

'08 K1200GT Dark Graphite - Awesome
'04 K1200RS Piedmont Red - Traded
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 4:53 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

I have an 05/04 GT with no problems at all in 13000 miles, I start it and pull out every time without a stumble.

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 5:24 pm
Noob

My 2004 GT is of the 09/2003 batch. Since I bought it used with 11k miles I can't say if the problem was obvious from the 0k miles. It was quite obvious at 11k miles. I had the same symptoms many others described before: crank the throttle 1/4 turn right after a cold start and the engine would either stall, or the RPM would fall to a point where the bike would stall if you actually started riding the bike.
With lower grade gas I managed to stall the engine several times. Mind you this happed in So. Cal recently with the temperatures only in the mid 50s - lower 60s in the morning.
As for having the ECU replaced, it took me about 5 minutes with the service manager at Ventura BMW to set up an appointment, and since they had it in stock, I got it done in less than a week.
The difference is night and day!

Cheers,
Steve
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 5:26 pm
Looking for better limits...

Mine is an '03, but the stumble when cold was very obvious. The throttle stumble was the main ingredient for the service bulletin. If yours is cold, and quickly cracking the throttle open about 1/8 turn causes the engine to stumble a bit, you may be a candidate. If it responds to the throttle consistantly, you're good. Mine was changed, and the fix was definately there.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 6:38 pm
Veteran

My '04 KRS has a build date of May/'04, which is supposed to be outside of the bad ECU's.
Absolutly no problems at all in 8,900mi.
Bruce C.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 7:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorradnik
I have an '04 w/ an early build date of 09/2003, that I purchased in April of 2005 (one of the last gray/green leftovers w/ full options, for 0.9% + 5 payments made by BMWFS) With the December ECU replacement cut-off date looming my question is this: Are there any other '04 KGT owners who's bikes don't exhibit obvious cold-start issues w/ the original ECU? I'm wondering how the obvious problem ECUs surface... Is it something that was apparent from the start or did it show up after a certain number of miles, etc? My dealer's service manager says that if it doesn't stumble on cold start-up then my ECU is a good one and won't need replacement, period... Is this true? I'd like to hear how other owners of '04 KGT's decided that their ECU's are 1) BAD or 2) GOOD 2 GO and am wondering what the % of bad ones to good ones really is? Thanks in advance!

Steve J.
Search the archives, I've started a thread regards to updated ECU's. My KRS don't show any signs of symptoms during cold starts. Does have a bit of irratic idle intermitantly, warm. Although it's only 700 miles new. My dealer is looking at possibly my control unit. I'm not mentioning any names right now. At least not till it's done. I do say, hearing from the horses mouth, better get it done before the end of Dec. 05.

BTW, how did you get .9% finance and 5 months on your new loan. For GT's they were suppose to get 3.9% and 3 months free payments.. good for you!!

'04 K1200RS- sold
'06 R1150GS Adventure ( Final Edition ) ( Still in Crate) 4-sale
'04 Honda RC51 ( still in the crate!) 4 sale
'08 BMW HP2 Sport #43 (awsome)
'09 BMW HP2 Sport w/ABS #77 ( still in crate)
'10 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide

Last edited by Lucky88; Nov 23rd, 2005 at 11:39 pm.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 12:45 am

my KGT with build date 12/2003. I haven't experinced any problems.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 7:25 am

No brainer today AND for resale purposes.

I guess my '04 GT had the ECU problem pretty bad. In cold days like today (40F) it would start but a twist of the throttle would definetly stutter or stall the engine. After the ECU it starts right up, I can give it throttle with no burps and more importantly the responsiveness improvement is night and day. Looking back with the old ECU, I feel I had about 80% of the performance I have today with the new ECU. I am riding in the 4k - 5k rom range most times.

This is a no brainer today AND for resale purposes because that would be one of the first questions I would ask if I were buying a '03/'04 GT.

Jeff
NJ
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 7:37 am

Hi Steve,

When I bought my '04 Gt last December, I decided ahead of time to have the ECU replaced before I even rode the bike. My thought was that it is better to have and not need, than to need and not have. After I rode my bike for about 100 miles, I took it back and told the dealer I was not happy with the performance and wanted the ECU replaced. I did have some minor hesitation which I probably would not have noticed if I had not read the bulletins, so it was a no brainer for me. I also put on a staintune exhaust at that time and have had no problems. I've got about 6500 miles on the bike.

If there is a protential problem with the ECU and you can get it replaced, I'd say get it done. You might need to approach the dealer with a strong conviction that you need it done, or they may give you some resistance.

Take care,

DJN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode