K12GT Rear Drive Pivot Bearings - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:10 pm Thread Starter

K12GT Rear Drive Pivot Bearings

At about 13K miles, I noticed some freeplay in the rear wheel of my '03 K12GT - together with some oil seepage around the rear drive boot.

The dealer that serviced the bike said that the pivot bearings in the rear drive were "notchy" and that they needed to be replaced along w/ the rear drive being re-shimmed. This work was done to the tune of $400.

According to the dealer, bearings are a "wear and tear" item, not covered by warranty.

I have a hard time believing that a 2 year-old BMW with 13K of mostly highway miles should have bearings fail as part of normal wear and tear.

Anyone else had this problem?

Mark

'03 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue)
'00 BMW R1100SA (Mandarin/Silver)
'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'74 R90S (Daytona Orange)
'06 Ducati Paul Smart Replica (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:48 pm

no way is that wear n' tear

Complete BS - find another dealer if possible. REgardless, fight harder and get your way. I have 24k in a single year and the only major problems I have had was an ECU exchange and a bad clutch (I burnt it out treating like a wet clutch, I knew better).

ONON-
Mark
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 9:55 pm
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS
According to the dealer, bearings are a "wear and tear" item, not covered by warranty.
Mark, I would contact BMWNA and get the name of the district rep for your area and explain your problem to him. Seems like the dealer is not stepping up for you. Just noticed your from Stoughton, we're practically neighbors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 2:59 am
Enthusiast

It's a wear item...

You may not like it, but it is a wear item and not covered under the BMW warranty. This will not be the last time you'll replace them either, assuming you'll be putting a lot of miles on the K.

I lost my first set on my RT at 12,000. I have 16,000 on my KGT and so far all looks good, but it is only a matter of time. When they finally crap out I am going with bushings that you can purchase through this business.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 5:24 am
Addict

In the past I've known auto manufacturers improve the design of replacement parts which have shown early failure. BMW have the warranty data on bikes we buy. But then every item excluded from warranty which fails, makes their overall reliability statistics look great! When a manufacturer fails to warrant a key mechanical part that others riders have had fail, you can draw your own conclusions. It's only through owners discussing and sorting their own problem that the real picture can come out.

If your BMW warranty appeals fail, I'd definitely try an experienced engineer who can look at the problems and parts failure to do a better job than BMW, or admit their skills to make improvements are limited by poor oem design constraints they cannot improve on.

Years ago when we started to see Japanese autos, I asked a salesman friend about mechanical failures - compared to what I knew on home grown. I remember he said - 'They never go wrong' I dismissed the reply but in later years you learn that some manufacturers do actually aim high for reliability and low cost of ownership.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 5:40 am

I had the same problem at 18,000 miles. My regular dealer said "wear & tear" so I took it to another one (now my regular dealer) and he said, "no problem - warranty item" and booked the bike in for the following week and arranged a loaner for the day.

I know I'm perhaps lucky being within 30 miles of 3 dealerships but it really does emphasize the benefit of second opinions.

Worth a try perhaps?
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 7:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera
When they finally crap out I am going with bushings that you can purchase through this business.
Holy Poultry! "This" business is Rubber Chicken Racing, the home of Tom Cutter. For those that may not know the name Tom was the head instructor at the BMW Tech school when Smith & Butler was the importer. Considered one the Guru Dozen of airheads. Now doing K bike stuff? Cool.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 8:35 am
Enthusiast

Arrow RCR Busings

Posted on another site from Tom:

Quote:

The one recurring failure I found was the Final Drive Pivot Bearings, anything from rough bearings to one set actually seized up from shattered rollers. All lubing and preload was per BMW specs.. I will say the
bike is not stock and goes where I point it. To my knowledge a roller bearing is designed to roll not rock back and forth, wearing a groove in the race and a flat on the roller. My Bushings are a direct replacement made from 660
Oilite Bronze that is oil impregnated and self lubricating, matched to a Timken Bearing race. They provide a Much Larger contact surface than the rollers since the Full Face of the Bushing contacts the race. I have developed and tested these for three years in my GS with great success, the present set has 15k miles with no measurable wear. If any wear does occur it will be negated when adjusting preload. I have also installed a set in my ' 94 K1100LT. These Bushings fit ALL Paralever Final Drive Pivots ' 87 to present. I am confident these Bushings are a one time investment and you will be happy with there performance. "
I have made arrangements to begin selling these bearings after a lengthy test on my own motorcycle and two others locally. The best feature about them
besides the reliability, is the ease of refitting the paralever assembly after any servicing. On the road this could prevent a trip-stopping failure of the OEM tapered needle bearings.

A complete bearing replacement kit is US $119.00. Orders may be placed through my website.

Thanks for the inquiry. I really believe that we BMW riders need this product.

Tom Cutter
Yardley, PA
I'm ordering a set next week and will swap them out when I do my first spline lube.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 8:46 am
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera
I'm ordering a set next week and will swap them out when I do my first spline lube.
Spline lube? It is not required on a K12.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 9:13 am
Enthusiast

How do you test the pivot bearing? I have 82K on my '02, so far no problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode