Draining fuel - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 2:56 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Draining fuel

I just bought an '03 K12RS and would like to get the old gas out. Is there a way to drain it out or do I need to siphon it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 9:05 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevano
I just bought an '03 K12RS and would like to get the old gas out. Is there a way to drain it out or do I need to siphon it?
Unless you have a spare QD around, for now you will have to siphon it out. I removed the fuel level sending unit to get a siphon hose to the bottom of the tank.
I know you have been reading the posts about failed plastic fuel quick disconnects. When you get around to changing them to metal, save the old plastic parts, as they are interchangeable with the metal QD's and are great to use on draining the tank.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 9:52 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Sounds like I should get some and put that on my list of things to do! With 12K miles and 5 years how high on the list should it go? Complete fluid change will come first!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:39 am
Veteran

Quote:
Sounds like I should get some and put that on my list of things to do! With 12K miles and 5 years how high on the list should it go? Complete fluid change will come first!
I would put the metal QD's replacement just below your fluid change! After all, we are talking about breaking down on the road, without a fix and fuel all over your engine! All of this on a fairly bullet-proof motorcycle!
My QD broke(and replaced under warranty) Oct. 2006 W/26K on the clock. I installed the brass, Omega QD's in June of '07 W/35K(see, I even waited too long on total replacement) on the bike and never looked back!
As I have said on other posts, if you can't get the metal QD's right now. At least get a pair of 5/16" 3-barb brass hose couplings and screw-type hose clamps(under $10.00 at any auto store) to carry with you.

There are many, many posts here on what part# QD, which screw-type hose clamp to buy and how to get the old plastic fitting off without tearing up the fuel line(you don't want to cut them off!!!!).

Bruce C
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Jul 26th, 2008 at 10:50 am.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 11:35 am Thread Starter
Rookie

I called my local dealer and they said to replace only the male end. That does not make sense to me to not change both. Advice?

Is this a 15-30 minute job or more in depth? Not that it really matters, just wondering if I would do it quick this morning before running the fuel through it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 12:10 pm
Veteran

Quote:
I called my local dealer and they said to replace only the male end. That does not make sense to me to not change both. Advice?

Is this a 15-30 minute job or more in depth? Not that it really matters, just wondering if I would do it quick this morning before running the fuel through it.
You dealer is correct that it seems to be that the male end on the pressure side(toward the fuel pump) is the one that breaks. That said, find out what the dealer is selling and at what price. A set (2 complete) chrome-plated brass QD's W/ Viton o-rings(I forget what the generic is for Viton, "Ray help!!!")(made by CPC, the same company that makes the stock plastic QDs) and purchased from Omega Industries will set you back just under $100.00 at todays prices. (There is a bunch of recent posts on the prices and part numbers of both the Omega and BMW-sold metal QD.)

Time-wise, you have to remove the seat, L&R dash panels,nose plastic, right side plastic panel, cut off the old clamps, pinch-off the fuel lines from the tank, remove the plastic QDs(without breaking them!) using a pair of diagonal pliers(as a wedge between the hose and fitting) and a screwdriver, install and align the new hose clamps, install the new QDs, test for leaks and put on the plastic. It ain't no job for just before you go to church!

Bruce C
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:42 pm

Go to Griots Garage and buy the pump syphon. I did four years ago and I love it. I use it for motoroil or gas.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...d+extractor.do
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 11:30 pm
Addict

I would advise changing the cheapo plastic Q Disconnects before they fail and you get stranded.
If you want to drain the tank just release the disconnects to seperate the lines. then use a small philps screw driver or other type tool in the center of one of the disconnects, push in to release the spring valve and the fuel will fall out.
One of those hoses is from the fuel pump inside the tank and the other is a fuel return from the fuel rail on the engine to the tank. I don't remember witch one will get the most out of the tank, try them both.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode