Rookie question about fuel quick disconnects - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 3:59 am Thread Starter

Rookie question about fuel quick disconnects

As I stated on an earlier post, I had the QD failure problem today. I had time to buy new replacements from the local dealer. Expensive but, so what if they work and are the best, right? Well, I'm researching a couple of aspects about the clamps and finding very good answers (Thank You very much) but am wondering if what I have is the best. I hear about new metal replacements and that's what I thought I bought from the dealer (did I mention very expensive?) but I'd like your feedback to make sure I'm putting the best solution onto the machine my life is depending upon. Attached is a photo of what I bought (hopefully - remember, rookie here) and one side is indeed metal but the fuel side is still plastic. Is that what you all would expect? Did I do right? As always, your feedback is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QDpurchased.gif
Views:	129
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	8508  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 8:28 am
Addict

thay look fine

the part that fails is the male side, and the solution looks good. i, however, replaced the whole male and female with the aftermarket omega qd's. they were around $75 for 2 males and 2 females. i bet u never have another problem with them. good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 8:55 am
Veteran

You should be fine mechanically as Bill said, it's the male end (always on the pressure or feed side) is the one that breaks. But at $99.16 (according to your other post) for :
2) metal male QD.s & 2) plastic female QD.s. I think you paid an awful lot of money!

Did you get a lot of fuel staining on the motor?

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
You should be fine mechanically as Bill said, it's the male end (always on the pressure or feed side) is the one that breaks. But at $99.16 (according to your other post) for :
2) metal male QD.s & 2) plastic female QD.s. I think you paid an awful lot of money!

Did you get a lot of fuel staining on the motor?
Thanks to both of you and all others putting good stuff up here. I had some staining, photo attached (off phone so limited quaility). Not a huge amount and I hadn't cleaned it up yet. I'm about to head out and buy some stainless worm gear style hose clamps. I started the job last night and of course I had 3 small clamps and needed 4.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0156.gif
Views:	104
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	8509  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2008, 11:15 am
Veteran

Pick up "fuel injection" rated hose clamps. They have an inner band that doesn't chew up the fuel line, about $1.00 ea. @ NAPA. Oh, and be careful putting them on. You don't want the "screw" rubbing on the tank, the other hose or the plastic!!

Pretty bad stain. I got most of mine off with Simple Green using a toilet brush and waxed over it. Couldn't get it all off.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2008, 1:02 am Thread Starter

A quick follow up, I got the NAPA fuel injector clamps, 1/4 " is the appropriate size. Heeding advice about watching the screws, I put some shrink tube on the end of the screws so no metal would be exposed from them to rub on tubes or engine parts. Photo attached. This might be a little anal but engine mechanics is not my forte'. I'm more comfortable directing and manipulating electrons. BTW, I used my soldering iron to shrink the tube and not an open flame.

Thanks again for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0158.gif
Views:	119
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	8512  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 5:11 am
Rookie

In the photo above, the disconnects both seem to have been installed the same way round.
Should one not be reversed?

Douglas C.
1998 K1200RS
1968 Triumph T120
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 10:43 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas_C
In the photo above, the disconnects both seem to have been installed the same way round.
Absolutely! That way you don't chance mixing them up.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2008, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas_C
I'm sure Grifscoots knows more than I do and I thought I duplicated what I pulled off but I've been known to make a mistake once before

Next time the fairing is off, I'll reverse one - makes sense.

Thanks.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2008, 3:26 pm

so how do we get rid of the fuel stains? Any ideas? I have tried rubbing compound, degreaser, everything

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode