K1200RS Electrical/Wire Problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2008, 7:07 pm Thread Starter

K1200RS Electrical/Wire Problem

I have a 98 K1200RS, while riding the bike completely shut down on me.
I'm unable to get anything (horn, lights, etc).
Put it on the charger after tow home, once or twice the LCD clock came on then down again.
Still nothing beyond that.
Anyone have idea or sadly been this way before?

Thanks
Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2008, 8:53 pm
Addict

Electrical

With the information you provided, it sounds like your battery is junk. Take the battery to a parts distributor and have them do a load test. That will tell you if the battery is internally shorted, in which case it's junk and replace it.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2008, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

Battery

Really, in the middle of riding the battery could short out like that?
I just got the bike this season, was supposed to be a new battery (but very shaky prior owner).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2008, 10:43 pm
Enthusiast

without a doubt, start with the battery.

if batt is good, check the ground cable and both connectors at the batt.

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 7:50 am Thread Starter

Battery

Thanks to you both, will check it out.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 4:44 pm
Addict

If you were actually riding and lost everything it shouldn't be just the battery because the alternator is like a power house and should still keep the bike running unless the battery and alternator terminal 'just dropped off'

Sounds like you might have a problem with your ignition switch or its wiring. You could still have a battery problem as well, or you could have an alternator fault not charging followed by a battery that eventually went flat.

You should check the battery is fully charged, the alternator is charging, then wiggle the steering about and see if a wiring problem to the ignition switch stops the bike.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 5:30 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachip
Really, in the middle of riding the battery could short out like that?
I just got the bike this season, was supposed to be a new battery (but very shaky prior owner).
The battery wouldn't "short-circuit". It would open-circuit, where an internal battery plate connection would break for no reason and leave you with no volts. And no voltage to excite the alternator.
I had a 2 yr. old automotive battery fail just like that. The El Camino started perfectly, I went about my business and it failed to crank on the next start-up. Diagnoses, bad battery!
It was the first and only time in many years of driving that it happened to me.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Jul 28th, 2008 at 6:09 pm.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 7:43 pm Thread Starter

Battery Test

Brought it to Sears and had it load tested, verdict is totally dead.
So is the recommended course get a new battery and then check out alt, wires?

FYI: Got the bike this season, was supposed to be a new gel battery, it was an old piece of crap.

thanks to all
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 7:51 pm
Veteran

Just get a new battery, you need one of them first. There's probably nothing wrong with the alternator or it's wiring. But being lied to about the battery would make me wary.

ps. If you are getting yourself cranked up and about to pull the alternator because you just "know" it's bad. Please read the PDF first.

These BMWs are a lot like the old joke about a few young bulls wanting to charge down the hill to have sex with a few cows. When the old bull reminds them to take it easy going down the hill and have sex with all the cows! You just have to slow down and diagnose the problem , before your wallet takes a big hit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf R&R alternator & or starter.pdf (849.5 KB, 18 views)

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Jul 28th, 2008 at 8:06 pm.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 8:59 pm
Faster than poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachip
FYI: Got the bike this season, was supposed to be a new gel battery, it was an old piece of crap.
Be real careful charging gel batteries. If you overcharge them even a little, they're ruined. My new to me 2002 came with a new BMW/Exide gel battery last October. It was dead by spring, after being connected to the BMW, gel-approved Battery Tender all winter. I still don't know what killed it, but it was attached to a normal 12V charger for a little while.

I replaced the dead gel battery with an AGM (absorbed glass mat) sealed battery, like the $130 Odyssey battery only way cheaper at $50 at the local Batteries Plus, compared to the $160 gel battery. A perfect fit, and the connectors are in the right place. I had to ream out the terminal hole to accept the positive stud. So far it works great.

I don't know what the gel battery is supposed to do better than the AGM battery, but I can't recommend them.

Live fast. Eat carrots.

Last edited by six_rabbits; Jul 28th, 2008 at 9:06 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode