Bike runs hot - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 1:23 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Bike runs hot

This morning at around 70 degress, as I sat at a light, the bike got close to the red on the temp guage. Coolant is full but don't know any other history since I just got it. 12K on the odometer. Any advice or is that normal?

BTW, '03 K12RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 2:10 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevano
This morning at around 70 degress, as I sat at a light, the bike got close to the red on the temp guage. Coolant is full but don't know any other history since I just got it. 12K on the odometer. Any advice or is that normal?

BTW, '03 K12RS
Let's start with a qualified "sorta normal" answer.
When running down the road, the temp. gauge should be just above the center white line(summer) and just below it in winter.
They do get warm when sitting at a light, but generally not at 70 and that depends on how long and what you were doing before you got to the stoplight.

Have you let it get hot enough to run both the fans?? Start it in the driveway and let it run long enough to start the fans, note the temp. when the fans start(should be just below the first red line) and how fast they pull the temp down to where the fans shut off. And that the fans are blowing out a good stream of hot air from BOTH grills

When the bike is cool check the coolant level in the left radiator, it should be full. Looking down, just in front of the left side plastic and you will see the radiator cap on the left radiator. Add distilled water to top off. 50/50 anti-freeze if you got it.

Lastly, these bike are known for radiator caps failing. If the bike tends to warm up very fast or runs slightly in the red, replace the cap before doing anything else.

ps. If you never had the complete plastic off your bike, check over on www.gunsmoke.com ,click-on "k1200rs home".The directions are for a '98KRS, but close enough for government work.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Jul 28th, 2008 at 2:18 pm.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 3:38 pm
Veteran

heat

First time I had an RS I came home cos the temp went up to high on the guage. Undue panic on my part.

From what you say I would say the bike is normal. The fans come on early in city riding, you really need a freeway to cool it down. Now I ignore it. I think I would worry if it hit the red, which it probably would do idling in the middle of summer, for example, a police bike at a traffic incident and the cop needs flashing lights and radio. Must ask a cop next time I see one stopped, with the Honda's they ;just let them run till they seized. Bike would start later when it cooled down then they rode away. That was the air cooled Honda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 5:46 pm
Will ride for picts

Very normal. In stop / go traffic, or on an extended climb at around 30MPH, the needle will approach the red zone. The fans will kick-in and cool it down to near mid-scale.

The real thing to watch for is if the temp light comes on. Then its time to pull over. I've only had the light come on once: climbing up Mt. Evans (14,000') behind a couple cars at 30 MPH. I understand the temp light is controlled from a different sensor than the temp gauge.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:17 pm

this baby gets realy hot. i can confirm that idling for 5 mins at 70 F gets the engine into the hot zone.

cheers.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2008, 7:10 am
Addict

Apparently riding slow in tunnels in hot weather isn't so good for big K's either and you probably can't pull over so easy. If the coolant pukes at the critical over temperature point you are doomed, so best to check the pressure cap is good.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2008, 8:30 pm

bad thermostat?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2008, 9:08 pm
Addict

only 3 things come to mind. Bad radiator cap, which was an issue in early years, a faulty t-stat, also an issue( if you think it might be,I got a new one I never put in mine I'll make ya a deal on), or the fans aint working.Make sure both fans come on , a common problem is the fan motors locking up tighter than a bulls ass in fly season.Must be a heat switch that activates the fans, but never heard of one going bad.And in hot weather in stop and go traffic the heat gauge on these tend to wag like a happy dogs tail.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 2:54 pm
Addict

Run Hot

The RS is a very high compression ratio so it will run hot, it's the nature of the beast. I have been in traffic on the highway when there is an accident and is not slow enough to stop and not fast enough to ride and as long as the fans come on you're fine. We hit a helluva jam in Virginia a few weeks ago that was brutal and no problems after 1-1/2 hrs of creeping. I also, several month's ago drained my "coolant" and installed Red-Line Water Wetter to the system. I mixed it so it is primarily water and the "Water-Wetter" is there for lubrication. Remember, the more coolant that is in the system, the hotter it will be due to the non-transfer of the liquid heat to the metal. My bike runs cooler with this in and of course I'll have to change it when the weather dips down to the freezing point.
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp
My temp. needle runs usually about 1/8" below the center line. When ambient is above 90 degrees it's about a needles width on the hot side of the line. I have run over 5000 miles with no problems.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode