Hard downshifting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 1:23 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy Hard downshifting

I was having trouble downshifting the RS today. It seems that if I cruise for a while in 6th gear something happens and it gets hard to downshift. The gearbox starts to feel like the lube is getting really thick and sticky. It gets worse if I slow down almost to a stop and then try to downshift all gears at once, and at one point doing that, the engine killed. Admittedly we were cruising at a low speed for 6th gear, 50 to 60 MPH range, but that should not matter. At one point when my son was riding it, the engine killed when he downshifted.

After we discovered this 6th gear thing, we cruised in 5th and it seemed to be gone.

It was acting this way last week so yesterday I changed the lube but it did not improve.

Sounds really wierd, but any ideas?

Bike is new to me with 12K miles.

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman MN
'14 K1600GTL Exclusive
'13 250XCW
'11 DR650
'93 XV1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 7:15 am
Veteran

I would lube your linkage and try it again.....the motor stalling would be more of an elec. or fuel problem...unless its binding ...but you would be at deaths door if it was...unless your real quick at clutching....two separate prob. I would say...but lube that linkage....if its dry it will be hard to shift.....spray the crap out of it with WD 40 ...lot of Cogsworth Cogs......hows the clutch feel?......is it disengaging?...try RPM shifting without the clutch.....is it better?........good luck..but lube lube lube....

Last edited by BAK04GT; Aug 3rd, 2008 at 7:29 am.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 8:33 am
Veteran

The part about slowing to almost a stop and trying to downshift through all the gears and the trans binding and almost stalling the bike is normal. It doesn't like to drop 6 gears all at once while almost at a stop.

If you put any downward pressure on the shifter while riding, the trans might bind.
DO NOT wear cruiser or work type boots while riding this motorcycle! They cause a lot of shifting problems. I tell people to just wear tennis shoes to find out if its the bike or them.
I wear slip-on western boots and have no problems with the trans.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Aug 3rd, 2008 at 8:39 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 11:29 am
Noob

Gear linkege

You do need to start with gear linkage lurication no good spraying with wd or similar there are seals to keep muck out . strip and grease only solution . I.ve had to do the same
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 11:42 am
Noob

Ps forgot to add why linkage stiffens whilst riding is caused by heat from exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode