OK, 1st Gen GT guys w/stealth backrest - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 7:41 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

OK, 1st Gen GT guys w/stealth backrest

I tried emailing Jerry at Pirates Lair about a Gen 2 GT Stealth backrest but no reply yet. I think I'm out of luck, but the Stealth would be my 1st choice. (Getting an 07 GT next week). I have a brother who is just THE best fabricator and welder. Anyone have an idea if getting a 1st Gen GT Stealth onto a Gen 2 GT would be doable, like without redesigning the whole thing? I did look at the install instructions but not much help, without having the bike here. To me the rest itself probably would work. It seems like you remove the rack and attach a bracket to the bottom which the rest bolts to, so maybe the bracket that goes under the rack would need tweaking. What does that bracket bolt to, just existing holes that hold the rack to the bike?

Gilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 9:50 pm

I don't think it will work in any manageable way. The stealth mount bolts to the 1st Gen rack through existing holes, just using longer screws. The 2nd Gen K rack looks substantially different in size and curvature. I'd suggest getting the right one to start.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2008, 9:55 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Well, yeah except the Stealth doesn't look like it exists for the Gen 2 bikes. And other options I'm not liking.

OK, on your bike, the threaded holes this attaches to, are they already being used before attaching the backrest, like to hold the plate on? Or are they there and unused before the backrest? My brother I'm pretty sure could make a new bracket, unless it's a cast piece, not cut and welded, etc.
Gilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 10:11 am

The stealth IS cast, so unfortunately modifying it isn't a great option. the racks on the '07 is WAY different than the '03. I'm with AugWest, you best be looking for a model specific backrest. I'd suggest a top case honestly.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 12:36 pm

Look at Sargent's website. They have one for the 2nd gen gt.
http://www.sargentcycle.com/bmwwsk12gt06.htm
It's totally different from the 1st gen.

'72 Penton Berkshire
'72 Penton Six Day
'78 75th Aniv Sportster (1st owner, sold '89)
'82 Honda cr250r
'04 K12Gt - KIA '09
'08 K12S
Robert Manucy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 7:19 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

The Sargent I looked at. I like it, but seems to be only for the Sargent seat. Same thing as trying to add a Corbin backrest. I did email Corbin to see if their backrest bracket would go on a stock seat, still waiting for an answer from them. I DO like the Sargent seat, but I am picking my bike up next week and no idea how I'll like the stock seat long-term. No t anxious to change the seat JUST yet........
will eamil Sargent with same question, if I can add their backrest to a stocker.
Am turning over all kinds of stones to find a good looking backrest, I really don't want to cover that rear rack with a Bakup mounting plate.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2008, 3:25 pm

My understanding is that Pirate had the backrests made for him by Sargent, and they have sold them also.
If you wanted one, it looks like you could purchase the rear seat and backrest without the front. Maybe save a little cash at first.

'72 Penton Berkshire
'72 Penton Six Day
'78 75th Aniv Sportster (1st owner, sold '89)
'82 Honda cr250r
'04 K12Gt - KIA '09
'08 K12S
Robert Manucy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode