Need Help - Swing Arm Removal - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 2:27 pm Thread Starter
just saying hey

Need Help - Swing Arm Removal

Feeling good dismantling - heading to replace clutch. Come across the high torque fits on swing arm - right side ok. But left side... the bearing journal or pivot pin (different naming in ETK & manual) - those suckers with a M14 Hex hed.... Actually broke a sidcrome socket! In the process it rounded the hex head corners. Now, cannot get sufficient bite to do anything. Someone must have been through this before? What is the next step besides F#@[email protected]!$!#!? Common to use heat on bike frame section? Easi-outs - not sure if they could handle the torque.

Colin
2000 K1200RS Pacific Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 3:54 pm
Enthusiast

Yes, put a heat gun to it and use an impact socket with a long breaker bar. You're at the hardest part of the procedure - getting the swingarm off.

Brent
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 4:13 pm
Enthusiast

Sorry Colin, just re-read your post and missed the rounded-off bolt part on first read. I would think its going to be tough with an easy-out. Being that piece does not actually attach the swingarm to the frame, is there any way you can manuever the swingarm away from the frame with removing the piece?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 7:22 pm
Enthusiast

Reason # 1 to leave the rear drive and swingarm asembled and remove as one unit from the frame/tranny. That is how I would proceed.

I am assuming you did loosen the lock nut on the pivot pin side.

The pivot side is not very tight, relying on the locknut to secure it. The fixed side (right side sitting on bike) is the one that gets torqued about ??80 lt lbs.

I would not even try an easy out if you have already broken off a 14mm allen socket and rounded off the flats inside the pin.

Once the entire drive/swingarm is off, you will have another chance to remove the pivot pin or fixed pin. Concentrate heat from a small tip of an Ox-Acytelene applied directly to the pin with the boogered head, until the inner edges of the recess begin to turn red. Shut down the torch, spray it with WD40 or something and as it the heats soaks away into the aluminum housing, take a large flat punch (1/2" drive extension) and pop the head of the pin with the extension and a hammer once or twice to disturb the flats and swell them inward. Then knock a good 14mm allen socket into the newly swelled flats and remove the pin.

HTH.

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 3:17 pm Thread Starter
just saying hey

Swing arm removal

Thanks for the help. Mike, I'll give your suggestions a try. However, just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, there is no facility for an allen key in the pivot pin. I have attached a picture, now the hex head is getting more difficult to distinguish, I got to it with a cold chisel - usually shifts everything I've come up against. However, this sucker has not budged. This is the part that screws into the swing arm itself. Also applied heat with a heat gun - maybe up to 80 degrees C. I'm starting to wonder what the thread direction is? Is it a conventional right hand thread - anti-clockwise to extract?

I have yet to look at how to get to the drive shaft to remove. I presume I do not have to remove any snap rings from the uni-joint on the gearbox output shaft. Just have to lever the unijoint off the shaft? Access looks like fun!

Thanks again - summer is just starting here. I am bounded by desert here and already getting 43 degree C days. Rain - maybe it will rain next year for more than 3 days?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swingarm pivot LHS.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	821  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:11 pm
Enthusiast

Colin,
My mistake, I was thinking about the rear drive pivot/journals when I replied to your post.

I now see, from the pic you attached, that you are talking about the left side swingarm bearing journal. I have no idea why it would be so tight, it is not reversed thread. Heat, heat, & heat is my best advice.

Good Luck, let us know what you find.

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 2:29 am Thread Starter
just saying hey

Problem - Swing Arm Removal

Hi Mike.

I didn't think everything lined up. So failing any other suggestions, it looks like heat is the best way. Is there sufficient room to remove the swing arm and drive shaft from the frame with the left side bearing journals still installed?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 4:35 am

Im not entirely sure where that buggered bolt is. Nevertheless a technique that I have used to remove stubborn bolts is to weld the socket (several techniques I can offer) to the bolt. Never failed yet. Cut a hole in a welding blanket to provide protection for surrouinding surfaces. It is a small recess there but it looks doable.l
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 6:08 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColB101
Is there sufficient room to remove the swing arm and drive shaft from the frame with the left side bearing journals still installed?
I'm not sure if there is or not enough but that's what I would try. Remove the tube cross member first and you might get enough flex out of the frame to squeeze it out?

Its not a reverse thread, but has a high torque spec of 160nm.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 5:46 pm Thread Starter
just saying hey

Rear Swing Arm Removal

Worthy to note that you can remove the swing arm with one of the pivot pins still installed. Very easy - after removing the exhaust, cross tube, then lever off the front drive shaft off the gearbox output shaft. Pull that thru the swing arm, then the swing arm can be removed easily. Now I can weld a nut onto the buggered pivot pin and get the sucker off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode